Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

leaking roof

I have had alot of problems with ice dams this year. Found out my insulation is poor and venting is not in good shape all of them are falling daown. Having attic reinsulated on wed. Anyways woke up this am and found out my roof is leaking. I did have the ice dams removed last weekend thinking maybe that was a mistake. went into atic found were water is leaking in, but roof is full of ice again. how do I find the leak on the outside and if I do find it what can i do to fix it till the spring. The water is actually leaking in between the wall and must be collecting on the window framing in the wall then leaking in . I do not see any signs of it leaking through the celling. Please help!!!

Thanks
Dave

couchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

leaking roof

A tarp may be your only solution until you can have the roof permanently fixed. If there is ice between the layers of roofing, it's not likely you can do anything with it until the ice melts.

As for cleaning ie off the roof, it's real ez to damage a roof cleaning ice off of it. The only way to be 100% sure not to damage the roof in any way is to use warm water. I fix alot of roofs in spring that the landscapers and handymen ruin.

As for how to permanently repair it, well that all depends on what the actual cause of the leak is.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote