Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #1

Share |

Leaking Roof

Hello,
I am a first time home owner so I am dealing with several small issues in the house. The most recent problem is a leak in our 2nd floor roof. We have a low slope roof, and when I went into the bedroom up there there was mold on the ceiling. The only place I could find water coming in is from the top of the window. I got on the rook and noticed that there is very little overhang from the shingles into the gutter. The facia board is exposed about 1/2" above the gutter and is feels soft and slimey. I am assuming that I need to install a drip edge, but I am not sure if the facia board needs replacing. How do I tell if I need to replace it? Also with the low slope of the roof there seems to be 3 spots on the roof that look wet after the rest of the roof has dried. There is not standing water on it, but is this common with low slope roofs, or do you think this area is also leaking?

Thank You

dltigers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Leaking Roof

You can tell if the fascia board is bad by probing it with a sharp pointed object, a screwdriver works ok, I use an awl. If it is soft and punky, it is bad, and must be replaced. You definitely need a drip edge. You may not have any ice and water shield either, that is a very good product to use for the lowest 12 inches or so of roof. As long as you are going to install a drip edge, you should at least consider installing ice and water shield as well.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #3

Leaking Roof

I live in the south so I am not sure if a ice shield is necessary, but could you explain the water shield? I have never heard of it.
Thanks
Old 11-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Leaking Roof

Ice and water sheild is one product. It is basically a thick sticker that you put on the first few feet of your roof. It creates an impermeable barrier between your roof and roof deck.
eisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #5

Leaking Roof

Ice and water membrane is not foolproof. It is designed to prevent damage from ice damming but it is not foolproof. I watched a roofer put it under shingles on a low slope porch. I mentioned it to the HO when I gave her an estimate for some interior work. Later that winter and spring I had to walk through constant dripping to do interior work.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #6

Leaking Roof

So I installed the drip edge and I can still see water getting to the fascia board. I'm not sure how it is, I used two 10ft sections from Lowes, I thought I did everything right, but I guess not. Can anyone think of anything major I might have messed up on?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #7

Leaking Roof

The shingles should extend over the top of the drip edge by about 3/8 of an inch. The water should drip off the shingles and not even run down on to the drip edge. In the event that it does, there is a bend the juts out on the drip cap where it lays against the fascia. The stuff you get from big box stores does not have this feature and even some of it that comes from lumberyards does not have this. In your situation, with a low slope roof, the surface tension is going to keep the water traveling straight down your fascia. Did you shingles run past your drip cap, or were they flush? This is probably your problem.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #8

Leaking Roof

not enough pitch to use shingles?
the water may actually be rolling along the underside of the sheathing and collecting at the plate above the window

Last edited by Tom Struble; 12-27-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #9

Leaking Roof

instead of drip edge i have had coilstock custom cut with a break in it so that the flashing goes into the gutter.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #10

Leaking Roof

The shingles did not overhang at all. The drip edge goes into the gutter. I can not really think of how water could be routed around the drip edge, behind the gutter and onto the fascia board. I will try to get some pics to upload in the next day or two and maybe that will give a better perspective.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #11
Dave The Roofer

Send a message via AIM to Dave The Roofer

Leaking Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by dltigers3 View Post
Hello,
I am a first time home owner so I am dealing with several small issues in the house. The most recent problem is a leak in our 2nd floor roof. We have a low slope roof, and when I went into the bedroom up there there was mold on the ceiling. The only place I could find water coming in is from the top of the window. I got on the rook and noticed that there is very little overhang from the shingles into the gutter. The facia board is exposed about 1/2" above the gutter and is feels soft and slimey. I am assuming that I need to install a drip edge, but I am not sure if the facia board needs replacing. How do I tell if I need to replace it? Also with the low slope of the roof there seems to be 3 spots on the roof that look wet after the rest of the roof has dried. There is not standing water on it, but is this common with low slope roofs, or do you think this area is also leaking?

Thank You
Hello you should remove the roofing and install full grace ice & water shield rolled roofing and make sure to use the rite flow dripedge, which brings the water out approx 3/4" and into the gutter.
Dave The Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Leaking Roof

old world style gutters came with a bend that flashed onto the edge of the roof,and allowed the roofer to flash to it.I like to install a 3x3" custom bent aluminum flashing at the fascia/gutter eave of the roof,the guttter is reoved ,and reset over the flashing using inside bracket hangers-(yes -replace old spike+ferrule style gutters if necessary),the ice/water shield is applied to the top of the 3x3" metal with approx. 1/4" overhang into gutter--the ice and water shield should be handrolled to the flashing for a proper seal,and the rear of the gutter should be sealed to the flashing with a good tri-polymer sealant like geocell 2300 sealant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #13
Chicago, IL

Leaking Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave The Roofer View Post
.... and make sure to use the rite flow dripedge, which brings the water out approx 3/4" and into the gutter.

- http://www.lambritchie.com/catalog09.shtml

However, if the slope is low enough, you can still get backup over and behind the drip edge, especially if it's retrofitted over (above) existing drip and/or underlayment.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Leaking Roof

Even with that drip edge,without the protection,behind the back of the gutter,you will have a problem when the gutter outet clogs,and the water backs up

the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #15

Leaking Roof

May be worth it to post some pics to get some better advice. Leaks can be super tricky as water will always seek the lowest point.

If you have the ice and water shield, the shingles extend 3/4" out AND you have a drip edge, then the water is coming from somewhere higher up on the roof.

jbraun is offline   Reply With Quote