Leaking Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Leaking Roof

Gentlemen/Ladies,

Just wondering if anyone would indulge a DIY'er trying to fix a roof leak in my house. So I've got a slanted roof, regular black shingles (I'm unsure of the correct nomenclature). Anyway, I noticed a dripping noise coming from my daughters' room a few months ago and lo and behold it was coming from the roof.

I went in the attic and noticed two soaked wooden planks above my daughters room. When I went outside I didn't notice any visible or overt damage to the roof in the area above the soaked planks.

Next, I got out my ladder and got at eye level with the incline of the roof and found a few tiles curled up so I purchased several caulk gun compatible tubes of roofing tar and went around the roof sealing down loose tiles and tiles that had curled up (there were a few, not many). I went top to bottom w/the the roofing tar and a few tile widths to the left and right of the leak location as well. So I basically tried glue down any loose tiles for what I thought was a healthy distance around the leak.

We got the first slow and steady rain we've had in months last night and I heard that dreadful DRIP, DRIP noise again in my daughter's room. I went back in the roof and sure enough those same planks are soaked again (pictures below).

So I'm a bit stumped. I've got a few questions about the leak if you guys don't mind:

• Is it possible the leak is coming from damage to the roof directly above the leak itself or could it be coming from another area and traveling down behind the shingles until for whatever reason it decides to leak here?
  • Would it better to focus more closely on the location of the soaked plank and maybe pull a few shingles off or back and look for any damage beneath them?
  • I didn't notice any overt damage to tiles or missing tiles in this section from the roof. Is there something else I would need to look for that's not as visible?

Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking Roof-20160727_080336_resized.jpg   Leaking Roof-20160727_080342_resized.jpg  

Advertisement

DeltaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,112

Re: Leaking Roof

In the middle of a section like that, the more likely location of the leak is at that location on the roof.

Start there and work your way up. There can always be water coming from above that is traveling down the underlayment and showing at a seam, but start there. You likely have a missing shingle or nail pop.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

You should hire a roofing contractor for this. They can help you in a right way.
delucaroofing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by delucaroofing View Post
You should hire a roofing contractor for this. They can help you in a right way.
I know this is a DIY forum but have to agree.Especially after you stated "after a few months" and calling shingles "tiles".
In a few months the damage from a small roof leak can do all kinds of damage.It can damage the roof sheeting ,your ceiling and run into you walls and insulation causing rot and mold.
Water intrusion of any kind is not something to be taken lightly and put off for months.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote