Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Leaking Roof

Hi everyone!

It's Sunny, beautiful AND February
Here's my questions.
I have two skylights on my sun porch, yes... they're leaking, but also in several other areas. The roof looks like it was placed about 3 to 5 years ago, before I bought it.. So, it looks like mold under the eaves, and I'm guessing the sheathing needs to be replaced, most, but not all..
It's only a 10x10 roof, so, is it better to replace ALL the sheathing? I want roofer to use Zip System Sheathing...
Is it necessary to replace all the eave flashing?
Finally, I like the skylights, but I'm going to have them taking out and replaced with sheathing... Will it need a vent? it's not finished ceiling on the inside of the sun porch... I'm sounding like a woman now, aren't I Thanks

Last edited by hollie117; 02-26-2012 at 03:28 PM.
hollie117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Leaking Roof

Is the porch conditioned, open air, etc?

If it is conditioned, ventilation is preferred. If not conditioned, it is not necessary but a picture from inside would be preferable before getting a final ruling on it.

Why do you want to use Zip sheathing as compared to standard plywood?

10x10 is only 4-5 sheets of plywood so I would replace it all as the same time.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
hollie117 (03-14-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #3

Leaking Roof

With a picture it sure would be easyer to come up with some suggestions and not have to guess when replying.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
hollie117 (03-14-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
DO IT RIGHT THE 1st TIME!

Leaking Roof

Where in PA? I live in tobyhanna nearby to Mt.Pocono/Stroudsburg area, so if its close to me I can always take a look for ya and other than me, I know some great roofers/contractors in the area.

Skylights are nice, but almost GUARANTEED to leak over time so removal is the best option.

As far as sheathing goes, OSB or plywood can be used just fine, just make sure its at LEAST 7/16 or 1/2 inch thick at the minimum because Ive walked on roofs done in less for whatever Godawful reason and it just aint pleasant when the roof sags as you walk it... Just make sure its all the SAME THICKNESS or it wont go well when you try to lay the shingles down
4 - 5 sheets of good plywood or less expensive OSB isnt that bad cash wise for a 10x10.

mold doesnt ALWAYS mean that the sheathing is shot, only way to really tell is if while walking on it, it feels spongy OR by taking up shingles and checking it that way. Mold just might be mold ya know?

Hope all the answers you received helps
builttolast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to builttolast For This Useful Post:
hollie117 (03-14-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Stroudsburg Roofer

Leaking Roof

Hollie, I also think regular plywood is just fine. If you are going to replace the roof I definitely would replace the skylights. Velux skylight comes with a 10 year no leak warranty no matter who installs it.

As far as ventilation goes, the inside of the roof and the outside of the roof should be close in temperature so if you have a open porch then you will not need venting.

Hope this helps

www.pa-homeimprovements.com
PA Home Improvements Inc.
764 North 9th Street
Stroudsburg PA 18360
"your local roofing experts"
800-ROOF-ALL

Last edited by PAHome; 02-29-2012 at 09:34 AM.
PAHome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PAHome For This Useful Post:
hollie117 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #6

Leaking Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Is the porch conditioned, open air, etc?

If it is conditioned, ventilation is preferred. If not conditioned, it is not necessary but a picture from inside would be preferable before getting a final ruling on it.

Why do you want to use Zip sheathing as compared to standard plywood?

10x10 is only 4-5 sheets of plywood so I would replace it all as the same time.
Thanks for all you help, finished roof by replacing it with cdx 19/32 plywood and Grace water and ice... Can you believe the roof was never flashed and J molding was never placed?? I hired someone that allowed me to help. I purchased all the materials and picked them up.. Carried all the roof guts to the dumpster.. He laid the plywood.. I helped lay the ice and water dam, place flashing, and shingles. It took us 10 1/2 hours. It rained that night, no leaks!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #7

Leaking Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by builttolast View Post
Where in PA? I live in tobyhanna nearby to Mt.Pocono/Stroudsburg area, so if its close to me I can always take a look for ya and other than me, I know some great roofers/contractors in the area.

Skylights are nice, but almost GUARANTEED to leak over time so removal is the best option.

As far as sheathing goes, OSB or plywood can be used just fine, just make sure its at LEAST 7/16 or 1/2 inch thick at the minimum because Ive walked on roofs done in less for whatever Godawful reason and it just aint pleasant when the roof sags as you walk it... Just make sure its all the SAME THICKNESS or it wont go well when you try to lay the shingles down
4 - 5 sheets of good plywood or less expensive OSB isnt that bad cash wise for a 10x10.

mold doesnt ALWAYS mean that the sheathing is shot, only way to really tell is if while walking on it, it feels spongy OR by taking up shingles and checking it that way. Mold just might be mold ya know?

Hope all the answers you received helps
Thanks! Roof replaced!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Leaking Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie117 View Post
Thanks! Roof replaced!

Well done.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
DO IT RIGHT THE 1st TIME!

Leaking Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie117 View Post
Thanks! Roof replaced!
Very good! No leaks is always a great thing to hear.

builttolast is offline   Reply With Quote