Leaking 3 Years Old Shingle Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
Azo

Rewards Points: 10

Leaking 3 years old shingle roof

It happened on the very first worm day when snow started melting. The house is 14 years old and I bought it last year in winter time. I did not have this problem last year. Last fall I inspected the roof and it looked excellent, like a relatively new roof. What worries me is that when I looked in the attic most walls were heavy wet, top to bottom. It was impossible to locate the leak origin. It is very possible there is no any isolation installed between shingles and plywood. But I can do nothing about this.
I do not know much about roofing, but I have some hands on experience. On my previous house I installed by myself a big sunroof and a power vent. I also maintained it by sealing flashings, cracks, nails heads etc. It was 22 years old and no leaks or wet plywood inside the attic.
Is it something I can do to fix it?

Advertisement

Azo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,248

Your roof is not vented properly.Are there any vents in the soffit?
Any ridge vents or turbines?
W

Advertisement

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Azo

I haven't noticed any vents addition or turbines, it looks the roof is exactly how it was initially built. You may have a point. The roof was replaced after 11 year by the former owner. That makes no sense. My old house roof was 22 and in perfect shape. Moreover, when I asked the former owner why he replaced the roof after 11 years, he told me that on that street many roofs were replaced. He believe the constructor used low quality shingles. My next neighbor house is identical and he replaced the roof after 11 years too. I will ask him about leaks problems. Maybe the house was build with insufficient vents that created water condensation and leaks, and the problem is not the initial poor shingles quality.
Or some vents were obstucted by snow and the attic was not properly vented? One more important detail: next day after leakage it rained very heavy...and no leaks. Maybe is just heavy condensation?

I am not familiar with terms used in roofing. What is soffit and where ridge vets are located?
Old 02-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 260

Is it possible you had some ice damming?
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IslandGuy For This Useful Post:
Azo (02-23-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,248

The soffit is the horizontal part under the overhang of your roof.Some in this area years ago were just covered with ply and not vented .Check it for vents.
The ridge is the ridge of you roof.The highest point.Some houses have a ridge vent.
Some have turbines which are round galvanized turbines usually 10-14" diameter.
There are other types of vents as well but see what you have.Pics would help.
The vented soffit and the higher vents such as ridge vents act like a chimney to vent your attic.
What kind of insulation do you have in the attic?
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
Azo (02-23-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
Azo

I attached some pics. The Top picture is low resolution from Google map; just give an overall image of the roof layout. Soffit looks ventilated. There is no ridge vent. All vents are regular, nothing was added.
The isolation in the attic is cellulose fiber.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking 3 years old shingle roof-soffit.jpg   Leaking 3 years old shingle roof-back_lick-side.jpg   Leaking 3 years old shingle roof-back_opposite-lick-side.jpg   Leaking 3 years old shingle roof-front-1.jpg   Leaking 3 years old shingle roof-front-2.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 02-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,926

There was a layer of water next to the shingles, under a layer of ice, under a layer of insulating snow and the layer of water was backed up nearly to the ridge.

Elevation causes hydro pressure and it finds the area with the least resistance to leak through.
The layer of water, even if it is only 0.01" inches deep must have an escape route. When an escape route isn't provided by the home occupants with heat cables it finds its own way out and is never appreciated by the occupants.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Azo (02-23-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,298

Any idea on how those valleys where done?
Please go back and add your location to your profile, just go to quick links to edit.
Are you aware of what an ice dam is?
If that valley was done wrong during the day the snow melts, as it gets colder and melts at night the ice expands and goes up under the shingles.
The valleys needed ice and water shield in the middle extending 2' on each side as well as 4' along all the lower edge of the roof.
Location is important because no one can suggest how much insulation should have been in the attic to help prevent the dams with out knowing what are you live in.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table
Attic needed to be air sealed, baffles added for air flow from the soffits to the roof vents.
Azo (02-23-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,674

Can you access the attic area, and post photos of the sheathing underneath. I would call up the roofer that did the job, and have them come and look at it. Also may want to open up a claim with your Home Owner's Insurance adjuster, so you are not having to foot the whole bill, for any damage, caused by the water intrusion.

You could have mold going on underneath the insulation up in the attic, along with on the sheathing. Any water or moisture that got into the walls, can be causing active mold colonies to keep expanding inside.

I would also try and get a moisture reading of those walls showing visible damage.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 02-22-2014 at 06:04 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Azo (02-23-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

That valley is a snow trap, and I think I see ice at the eaves. You probably have ice damming going on. That whole roof area should have had ice dams protection membrane installed. Probably a double layer.

Soffitt vents with no ridge vents for exhaust are worthless.

ALso, is this a cold attic, and do you have any bathroom vents dumping into the attic? Attic access door(s) properly sealed?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Azo (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Any idea on how those valleys where done?
The valleys needed ice and water shield in the middle extending 2' on each side as well as 4' along all the lower edge of the roof.
I think he means 1.5' on each side of the valley and 3' on the lower edge because Ice and Water Shield is sold in 3 foot rolls.
one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to one cut For This Useful Post:
Azo (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
Azo

I attached pics of the attic. The roof is symmetric in this area (see Top picture). On the lick side, roof deck is wet top to bottom. Even the top ridge is wet. O the opposite side, is dry top to bottom. The name of the picture shows the side.
Probably, the roofer did not installed the protection membrane. But still, why just one side is wet.
What can I do now the fix the problem, other than to redo the roof. It is still 3 years old. My location is Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking 3 years old shingle roof-top-leak-side.jpg   Leaking 3 years old shingle roof-opposite-leak-side.jpg   Leaking 3 years old shingle roof-lick-side-1.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 206

Seeing as your in On your roof most likely only has underlayment at the eaves, maybe in the valleys. Heat cable may help your problem, run up both sides of the valley to get the snow melting.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatChap For This Useful Post:
Azo (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,926

QUOTE: What can I do now the fix the problem, other than to redo the roof. It is still 3 years old.

If you read reply #7 it states that water was backed up nearly to the ridge and the wet sheathing to the ridge proves that.

You could have the roof redone and have the entire roof covered with ice and water shield. BUT, if there is no guarantee from the roofer in writing he will install it with a 100 percent seal for the life of the roof you've accomplished nothing except lighten your wallet. Any roofer that would agree to a contract like that is an idiot.

Next - add insulation, baffels and venting, good idea. It will save on utility bills. Now, get the contractor to provide the same guarantee that you required of the roofer. No ice dam water intrusion EVER. Another example of an idiot contractor that would make that guarantee.

This whole mess is really sad since one heat cable from the roof ridge to the eave to provide an outlet for the melt water would have prevented all of this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Azo (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #15
Azo

After all this is not so bad...
About the heated cables, I should run them through the valleys, my roof has 4 valleys. I attached a picture showing the 4 valleys. Is there any other places it may worth to run heated cables? What about heated tapes run as shown in the picture. Is it efficient? Is it worth the money?
Questions about vents: turbines should be more efficient, on the market I've seen mechanical turbines(powered by wind) and electrical @120V. Costco is selling a solar power vent. From your experience, what is the best solution? Price may not be a problem, I am really scared by mold and I am willing to pay for the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking 3 years old shingle roof-heat-cables.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement