Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

leak in cement tile roof

I have a leak and need help . My son has tried several times to seal what he thought was the problem but it still leaks . I have a cement tile roof , the leak is in the back of the house , so its all on 1 slant.
The roof is in great condition but up around the top point where you see the vent , there was some craking in the cement , so my son bought some kind of cement patch / sealer and put it all along under that vent area, it still leaked , he did it 2 times more and the last time he bought a strip of aluminum and ran it up under that vent and put the sealer all over it and as you can see the stain , it's still leaking .
In the pictures you can see the roof and where the vent is , it's up along the point .
the first leak inside is about 2 ft from the point , and the other leak is down over the window .
in the 1 picture you see the outside with the 2 windows , the leak at the first leak up at the point is straight up from the left window ,but 2 ft from the point in the ceiling and the other leak is down low over the right window .
can you help me with this problem , we can't go under to look because they are cathedral ceilings and no crawl space , but there are no visible signs of damage on the roof ..need help ..thanks
I tried to load pictures but can't , I can email them to you if you give me an email address.

virgo822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,028

leak in cement tile roof

Use a lower resolution in your camera to post pix.

You have to look for the cracked tiles, and the ones that were improperly installed with keyways too close together. And now, you also have to repalce all the tiles your son put the goop on too.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 79

leak in cement tile roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo822
I have a leak and need help . My son has tried several times to seal what he thought was the problem but it still leaks . I have a cement tile roof , the leak is in the back of the house , so its all on 1 slant.
The roof is in great condition but up around the top point where you see the vent , there was some craking in the cement , so my son bought some kind of cement patch / sealer and put it all along under that vent area, it still leaked , he did it 2 times more and the last time he bought a strip of aluminum and ran it up under that vent and put the sealer all over it and as you can see the stain , it's still leaking .
In the pictures you can see the roof and where the vent is , it's up along the point .
the first leak inside is about 2 ft from the point , and the other leak is down over the window .
in the 1 picture you see the outside with the 2 windows , the leak at the first leak up at the point is straight up from the left window ,but 2 ft from the point in the ceiling and the other leak is down low over the right window .
can you help me with this problem , we can't go under to look because they are cathedral ceilings and no crawl space , but there are no visible signs of damage on the roof ..need help ..thanks
I tried to load pictures but can't , I can email them to you if you give me an email address.
I had a leak in mine and while the roofer was repairing it he was saying that with cement tile roofs only 80% of the water is actually on top of the tile. The rest is kept out by your tar paper. Needless to say, you need to remove a few tiles to inspect the area underneath for rips or holes. With my leak my roof is 20 yrs old and the tiles are still in good shape with a few small chips here and there.
Dwillems is online now   Reply With Quote