DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

leak in cement tile roof

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Dwillems 
#1 ·
I have a leak and need help . My son has tried several times to seal what he thought was the problem but it still leaks . I have a cement tile roof , the leak is in the back of the house , so its all on 1 slant.
The roof is in great condition but up around the top point where you see the vent , there was some craking in the cement , so my son bought some kind of cement patch / sealer and put it all along under that vent area, it still leaked , he did it 2 times more and the last time he bought a strip of aluminum and ran it up under that vent and put the sealer all over it and as you can see the stain , it's still leaking .
In the pictures you can see the roof and where the vent is , it's up along the point .
the first leak inside is about 2 ft from the point , and the other leak is down over the window .
in the 1 picture you see the outside with the 2 windows , the leak at the first leak up at the point is straight up from the left window ,but 2 ft from the point in the ceiling and the other leak is down low over the right window .
can you help me with this problem , we can't go under to look because they are cathedral ceilings and no crawl space , but there are no visible signs of damage on the roof ..need help ..thanks :(
I tried to load pictures but can't , I can email them to you if you give me an email address.

See less See more
#3 ·
virgo822 said:
I have a leak and need help . My son has tried several times to seal what he thought was the problem but it still leaks . I have a cement tile roof , the leak is in the back of the house , so its all on 1 slant.
The roof is in great condition but up around the top point where you see the vent , there was some craking in the cement , so my son bought some kind of cement patch / sealer and put it all along under that vent area, it still leaked , he did it 2 times more and the last time he bought a strip of aluminum and ran it up under that vent and put the sealer all over it and as you can see the stain , it's still leaking .
In the pictures you can see the roof and where the vent is , it's up along the point .
the first leak inside is about 2 ft from the point , and the other leak is down over the window .
in the 1 picture you see the outside with the 2 windows , the leak at the first leak up at the point is straight up from the left window ,but 2 ft from the point in the ceiling and the other leak is down low over the right window .
can you help me with this problem , we can't go under to look because they are cathedral ceilings and no crawl space , but there are no visible signs of damage on the roof ..need help ..thanks :(
I tried to load pictures but can't , I can email them to you if you give me an email address.
I had a leak in mine and while the roofer was repairing it he was saying that with cement tile roofs only 80% of the water is actually on top of the tile. The rest is kept out by your tar paper. Needless to say, you need to remove a few tiles to inspect the area underneath for rips or holes. With my leak my roof is 20 yrs old and the tiles are still in good shape with a few small chips here and there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.