Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #1

Share |

Leak around chimney

Just got a new roof put on in September and I've noticed a leak primarily in one corner of the chimney. I don't access the attic very often and just noticed it now. We have had a good bit of rain here in the last couple days. The leak may have been there before we got the new roof, however I never noticed it.

I've attached a couple pictures. My main question is do you think that it's likely the flashing for the chimney was installed wrong and leaks, or more likely that water is seeping in through the mortar joints or near the cap. Hopefully the pictures help. Thanks for any insight.

Joe
Attached Images

Joe028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #2

Leak around chimney

Alot of times it is a flashing issue.The chimney cap has cracks in it,I would check into this as well.Check the shape of all the mortar.

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #3

Leak around chimney

do people not build crickets for there chimneys anymore?
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Leak around chimney

I also see cracks in the cement chimney cap which need to be sealed. I personally do not like the type of flashing they put on the back of the chimney. As "tpolk" stated, a "cricket" should be there IMO. The type of flashing you have there is certainly a "water catcher" and not a "water diverter", so to speak. I can't help but wonder that if in a hard rain the water collected at that flashing would wick up under your shingles and cause your leak. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #5

Leak around chimney

Thanks for all the replies. I will seal around the cement cap and take a closer look at the mortar to seal that up as well. As for the flashing, is it possible to put in a cricket at this point, or is it too late now that the roof is down? Also at what point is a cricket required? is it for a specific width chimney or distance from peak, etc?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #6

Leak around chimney

With how close the chimney is to the ridge, I dont picture enough water rushing down in order to cause a leak from the flashing. I would first think it is mortar/chimney cap.

A cricket is not required on that. Ive done maybe 1000 chimneys that size without a cricket and none of them have leaked.

Majority of homeowners also dont appreciate the added cost of the cricket.

Seal everything you can. If it still leaks, call your roofer and tell him what you did and it still leaks so you are thinking it is something with the flashing. It should still be under warranty.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

Leak around chimney

Back pan is correct on that 21" chimney. I like turning a lip down on the outer end to direct the water down so there is 0 chance of it tracking sideways. They even used I&W shield around yours. There is a chance that mortar sealer like Soloxane may be needed.
I'd have them come back and check the corners where the pan is seated and where the tinner's wings are seated on the front corners. ANd check for gaps in the caulk along the counter-flashing.

Some guys cut the last step flashing down into it's corner and tha tis wrong and creates a potential leak too.
Attached Thumbnails
Leak around chimney-chimney-job-12-.jpg   Leak around chimney-chimney-job-9-.jpg  
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #8

Leak around chimney

Quick update. I ran a low pressure hose above the chimney and found no water leaking after about an hour. That gave me confidence in the flashing being solid. Yesterday was a nicer day and got up to around 45 degrees so I mixed up some mortar and repaired all the cracks in the mortar joints as well as sealed the cap. I haven't applied a soloxane sealant yet because today we're back down into the 30's with light rain and I just hope that the mortar even had enough time to set.

It did rain a bit through the night and I checked the attic again this morning. The brick is all dry, however there are droplets, on the black liner (ice & water guard?) which even look like condensation. This rain was not near as long and windy as it was when I first noticed the leak days ago.

Roofers should be coming out today or tomorrow to re-pitch a gutter, I'll have them look at the flashing at the same time. Because of the weather, it seems I'll probably be out of luck until spring to get a good seal on all the brick and mortar with a sealant so I hope it is just that and doesn't get too bad over the winter.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Pro Slate Roofer

Leak around chimney

Condensation is a possibility. More likely, water came through the brick and got on the I&W shield which is in direct contact with the chimney.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Chicago, IL

Leak around chimney

One diagnostic is to place a heavy duty contractors trash bag over the chimney cap and down the chimney to just above the level of the flashing, and then spray test and see if it leaks

MAKE SURE BEFORE TESTING THAT EVERYTHING SERVED BY THE FLUE IS OFF, INCLUDING PILOT LIGHTS, and place notes to remind you to remove the bag before using fireplaces or appliances connected to the chimney.

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote