Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

View Poll Results: Whether I need Ridge vents (Pl. read my thread)
All over roof 2 100.00%
Only at sections where roof fan is not there 0 0%
Must need sofitts to install ridge vents 0 0%
None 0 0%
Voters: 2. This poll is closed

Old 11-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #1

Share |

Laying new roof after removal of old roof

Hi,

I've a single family (Split level) house. I want to change old roof (2 layers) and lay down new roof. Have following questions. Most of roofers told me to use Timberline 30 years or Owens corning 30years shingles. They told me about starter strip, Edge drip (around perimeter), Ice / Water shield (3 ft. from gutter edge), flashing around chimney and step type flashing where wall meets roof (if needed) (as I've Aluminium siding). No one is clear about Liquid barrier ? How important is Liquid barrier ?

Also I've 3 sections of roof and all are not conect with each other. On the top most section I've Roof fan. Other two section has one gable vents on each side. I do not have Sofitts. Few of them have suggested Ridge vents (Cobra with corresponding caps and shingle) and few of them told me that since I've Roof fan, I don't need Ridge vents. Also one of them suggested me to replace Roof fan with Humidistat (Roof fan which works with temp. as well as humidity) on the section where I've fan and the other two sections with Ridge vents while the other one suggested to do Ridge vent all over the roof (all 3 sections) and asked me to keep my fan setting (temp) at high temp so that it'll start only if the temp is higher than 100 degree F. Please suggest what is right way to do it as Shingle manufacturer will stand with the guarantee only if the ventilation is done correctly and I do not want any problem with my roof at later stage. Also do you suggest to get the Sofitts done in the roof too ?

Please give your honest opinion ? Also please suggest few good roofing companies in central NJ area (around edison, NJ with god references) and who are in business for long time (not fly by roofers).

rupal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #2

A picture of the roof layout would help
Proper ventilation is needed, I use ridge vents when possible
But without soffits they are almost worthless

You only need 1 thread on this subject
Thanks

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #3

Go to the Roofing.com website. I am sure a contractor is on that site that is in or close to your area but I am not sure to many of them would want to waste their time telling you all they know just to have you do it yourself.

Good luck.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
Go to the Roofing.com website. I am sure a contractor is on that site that is in or close to your area but I am not sure to many of them would want to waste their time telling you all they know just to have you do it yourself.

Good luck.

Ridge vent does work without soffit vents, but not nearly as well as it should.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
No one is clear about Liquid barrier ? How important is Liquid barrier ?
I have to admit I'm not clear either. It may be a regional term, but I do not know what you mean. Can you explain a little further please?

Quote:
A picture of the roof layout would help
I agree with scuba

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #6

Please read the Roof fan as Attic Fan (purchased from Home Depot).

Also I was suggested that sofitts vents will be added. I'll try to attach pictures shortly.

One roofer said that I should do Ridge vents with sofitts vents in lower section as well as section above my garage. While change Attic fan with Humidistat and should not install ridge vent over there. He also suggested nstead of ridge vents I should put Humidistat at the other two sections too and that way I can avoid Ridge vents and sofitts vents altogather.

It's really confusing as my house is 45 years old and have 2 layers so each roof has lasted atleast 23 yrs. and I assume it must have adequate ventilation (currently I've gable vents and attic fan at one section) and that's why it lasted for such a long life, but than ridge vents with sofitts vents is a new way to go (new technology and GAF is also encouraging that), but GAF is only recommending that one should not have ridge vents/sofitts vents and attic fan/gable vents together.

Help is appreciated. Please guide me.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #7

Attached few pictures. Pl. help me with your suggestions asap.
Attached Thumbnails
Laying new roof after removal of old roof-house-front.jpg   Laying new roof after removal of old roof-house-left-sagged-part.jpg   Laying new roof after removal of old roof-back-side-patio-roof-attic-fan.jpg   Laying new roof after removal of old roof-side-gable-vents.jpg  
Old 11-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #8

if the soffits are what I think from the pic you have soffit venting. are they perforated with small holes?
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Chicago, IL

Deleted... misread OP.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 11-22-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #10

Current sofitts are not with holes (perforated). It's a solid sofitts without and perforations. I was suggested to drill holes and put new sofitts vents instead in the same.