Large Down Spouts - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,708

large down spouts

i have a leaf problem. my down spouts keep getting clogged. while cleaning them, AGAIN. i noticed that the connector that holds the DS is pretty small compared to the size of the standard DS.

so i want to install larger DS's. what is a good way to cut the hole larger in the gutter ?

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

large down spouts

Circle snips. Red and Green. You can't do it with one only.

Advertisement

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 680

large down spouts

Adding a screen in the down spout would also help keeping the down spout clear.
http://www.guttersupply.com/p-gutter...trainers.gstml
Old 10-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

large down spouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Adding a screen in the down spout would also help keeping the down spout clear.
http://www.guttersupply.com/p-gutter...trainers.gstml
joe. i was thinking that. but i think those would get clogged.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #5

large down spouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Circle snips. Red and Green. You can't do it with one only.
these ?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ight-snips.jpg
Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Pro Slate Roofer

large down spouts

Yes. But get the green ones that look more like those red ones. The green ones pictured are for shop use aand generally easier to use on a cutting table.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #7

large down spouts

Quote:
Yes. But get the green ones that look more like those red ones. The green ones pictured are for shop use aand generally easier to use on a cutting table.
hmmm, i would think that the green ones would be easier to use. as they have angled blades. but you are saying that the straighter blades are the best ?
Old 10-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

large down spouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i have a leaf problem. my down spouts keep getting clogged. while cleaning them, AGAIN. i noticed that the connector that holds the DS is pretty small compared to the size of the standard DS.

so i want to install larger DS's. what is a good way to cut the hole larger in the gutter ?
a good way is to use the downspout to gutter connector and turn it upside down in the spot you want to insert it. use a pencil and scribe the whole way around making the line a bit heavy. you can loosen a few gutter straps either side to free the gutter from the fascia then while viewing drawn line from above use snips if possible from underneath to cut the line while keeping sight of line. if snips do not work use a sharp razor knife and score line really well and a pair of pliers to bend it till it snaps off. you are now ready to drop in connector,seal and screw. then your new downspout attached and good to go. getting the round spout guards are ideal and recommended if your spout dumps into a drain pipe- keeps the drain pipe from clogging long term. otherwise if no drain pipes then you just might need a short snake to go out and snake out the bend in the downspout every few years and let it fall out the bottom of the spout onto the splash guard at ground level
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Pro Slate Roofer

large down spouts

Believe me, they are angled. The ones pictured are flat on the bottom and great for working right cuts in large flat sheets on a table, as are the flat bottomed red lefts. Being flat seems to help when drawing the snips towards yourself. Just not as handy in the field, in my experience. I have all four.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #10

large down spouts

ok, fella's, thanx. i will have to look at what snips i already have, and go from there.

1 other question. i have standard size gutters(i think). will the larger DS's be impossible to install on them ? i am real good with metal, so i can do mods if needed.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
Pro Slate Roofer

large down spouts

Next outlet size up is 3" x 4". It should work, or fabricate your own out of .019 or thicker aluminum.
Standard 2x3 outlets let the flange lay flat on the bottom of the gutter. On a larger one, you'll most likely have to turn one, or two flanges up 90 degrees.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #12

large down spouts

Quote:
Next outlet size up is 3" x 4". It should work, or fabricate your own out of .019 or thicker aluminum.
Standard 2x3 outlets let the flange lay flat on the bottom of the gutter. On a larger one, you'll most likely have to turn one, or two flanges up 90 degrees.
yeah, that is exactly what i was thinking.

i will post results. but don't hold your breath
though i do have to get on it, fall is here.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #13

large down spouts

oh. one more thing. the screws, they snag the leaves, rivets are no better. what can be done to help this issue ? this is for the connector piece.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
Pro Slate Roofer

large down spouts

If the downspout is 'stiff', for want of another phrase, you can leave several screws out, such as the one into the outlet.
It depends on how much overhang you have. If it droops, you could use a thin wire or strap to attach it to the underside of the fascia or soffit.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
Pro Slate Roofer

large down spouts

If I wanted a good attachment for the downspout to the gutter, and wanted it invisible and didn't want to use a screw or rivet, I'd drill a small hole in the top of the DS, in the back, and run a piece of #12 copper wire from it to the top of the gutter, in the rear, and loop it over the back and loop it around the closest hanger or spike there. Or a screw in the top of the rear of the gutter.

Advertisement