Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #1

Share |

Landmark 25 Shingles

I'm in the process of having my roof totaled due to hail damage. I still have an original bundle of the existing shingles and they are Landmark 25's. I was on here earlier about this and MJW told me that they Landmark 25's were a four bundle to the square shingle. The house is in MN and I'm trying to make sure that the insurance company shingle allowance will cover a comparable shingle. I don't believe that Certainteed has the same shingle today.What would be an equal shingle in weight and quality? Landmark Plus? Duration Premimum?
The insurance estimate came back with "Laminated-comp.shingle rfg-w/felt" at $200.77 per square. My Roofer says that this amount only covers an entry level arch. shingle such as Oakridge. I would call a couple of local roofing contractors but I'm already somewhat locked in with a contractor. Long story,the house is a twin with a common roof and my neighbor has already signed a precontract with the roofer. I know, dumb move on his part. I'm trying to make the best of it. Thanks for any help
Colin Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
MJW

Landmark 25 Shingles

The roofer is correct. It is an ordinary entry level arch shingle. The comparable would be the Landmark, which is now a "limited lifetime" warranty but not a landmark plus or premium.

The contractor sounds like a stormer to me. Contract, whatever....doesn't mean a thing. This Contractor is likely using OC because he gets a break on the pricing. Just being honest. Have you seen their work? Have you seen their crew? Is the crew licensed and insured?

Saying the OC is comparable to a Certainteed is far fetched for me. They are the same as far as warranty, but the Landmark is a better shingle.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #3

Landmark 25 Shingles

MJW,At this point, I'm going ahead with the present contractor. Yes, they have provided me with certs. and no, I haven't seen their work. I just want to keep them honest on the level of shingle the insurance company is paying for. I guess I need to call the adjuster and see about more $ per sq.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
MJW

Landmark 25 Shingles

The adjuster has the line item on the estimate correct for the shingles. There is no need to ask for anything from the adjuster.

I'll put money on the guy who signed the contract will only be there to pick up the check. The work will be done by a separate sub contractor company. I'd be surprised if it was anything different.

Good luck.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #5

Landmark 25 Shingles

MJW, I know it will be subcontracted out. I've been in the construction field for 30 years and will take a couple days off to be on the roof with the crew.