Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Ladder laid on 8/12 roof plane to walk on while prepping/painting roof

Here's a question I thought would be best answered in the roofing forum, sorry if I'm in the wrong place.....

I have an 8/12 pitch peak roof shingled with 80 year old metal shingles,
roughly 17' x 40' each roof plane. I want to lay a ladder vertically on each plane so I can walk it to wash it and prime/paint it.

I have scaffold enough to get to the eaves, and I thought I would get some hooks to fasten to the top of the ladder to hook over the eaves to secure the ladder. That way i could have the pressure washer and then the paint pump at the top of the scaffold and only have to carry the hose up and down my roof ladder.

I've also considered tying off the ladder to my car, and I am considering a harness/shock absorber so I don't get in trouble and/or plummet to my death.

I know that there are various methods you can use, other than my ladder arrangement,but is my way acceptable? I want to be safe, and I need info on how to safely secure the ladder, or if that's a bad idea let me know.

I am reluctant to cleat the roof and use planks, because it means puncturing the roof so much, and I don't think planks would be very good to use for washing/painting, having to move them all the time.

Ideas, anyone??

Thanks

Roly

ChantryOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 162

Ladder hooks work fine, but it will be complicated to properly tie off. Can you run the scaffold high enough to put a proper guard rail in?
Ladder hooks, If your not used to them they can be a little hard on the feet after a while, and it may take a bit to get comfortable on them.
Get the ones with a wheel on the back, so you can roll it around your roof and not scratch it up. You'll need to wrap the bottom in cloth or something as well.

PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 77

Thanks a lot for the info. I have some 3/16 aircraft cable I was thinking of attaching to the ladder, and running it down the other side of the roof to the tow hook on my car as a safety cable. That way I would feel ok tying myself off to the ladder also. Hadn't thought about the comfort issue, I guess the rungs of the ladder are hard on the ol feet after a while. If I buy a ladder hook, I'll definitely spring for the extra 3 bucks to get one with a wheel.
ChantryOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 538

Make sure to disable your car somehow. Maybe pull a battery terminal.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote