Lack Of Underlayment - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lack of Underlayment

I had hail damage (and an insurance claim) so I am having my house and a standalone shed roofed by a contractor. As they finished my house they did my shed, but did not use any underlayment --- just put the shingles directly over the plywood sheathing. I assume because there was no underlayment left at the job site at that point in time. The shed is a small (8x10) but is on a concrete slab and I recently resided it and it is in great shape. Can someone tell me if the lack of underlayment is a significant issue that I should take great issue with. If nothing else it is making me wonder if other shortcuts were taken.

Advertisement

vball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 83

Lack of Underlayment

You should wonder about other shortcuts, unfortunately you won't know about them until it's too late.
Shingle manufacturers want underlay down for wind blown rain and snow that can get blown up under shingles. If the shingles are installed correctly, there should be no leaks.

I tear off roofs all the time where they put down some #30 felt on the bottom, but ran out halfway across the roof, and just left it at that.

Advertisement

bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 664

Lack of Underlayment

Was it a store bought shed, only reason I ask is a lot of the store bought, not stick built sheds come with no tar paper and they just staple the shingles on to save money when building it.
They should have pointed out the fact there was no paper if that's what they found and offered to install one.
There's still no good reason I can think of to leave it out when reroofing, even if they had to go buy another roll.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 248

Lack of Underlayment

the underlayment type again depends on where you live. #15 or #30. if there wasnt any there and he just did part of it then id say he copied what was there. if he did the whole and there wasnt any felt he should of put some. just because it originally didnt have any doesnt mean he should do the same. after all = if he reroofed your home and the original shingles were installed uneven would he therefore install the new ones uneven.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Lack of Underlayment

Thank you so much for your quick replies. I guess I will just question him before I pay since there is not a lot he/I can do about it at this point. Other than the lack of underlayment it looks good and appears to be put on correctly. By the way, it was not a store bought shed. My dad built it from scratch and it had a solid, but hail damaged, roof with underlayment on it. They ripped it all off and then just laid shingles right on the plywood. I am in southwest Ohio.
vball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 248

Lack of Underlayment

every area has codes. just check your local codes. granted your area might not require felt on a shed. it would of only taken a few minutes to put it on. put it like this. if it had felt before then it should have felt now.

Advertisement

hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote