Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Knowledgeable opinions please

I've attached a photo but I had my roof redone and the contractor applied GAF Liberty product (which is a self adhering rolled roofing) to a small flat section of my roof. He actually removed the membrane which was there and unfortunately the peel and stick he installed (as it's referred to in the industry) isn't warrateed for less than a 1/4" per foot slope.

The contractor doesn't want to deal with it so any recommendations on what type of membrane would be best. I need to get someone else to fix it. I want a single piece to allow some level of comfort we won't have any leaks for the next 15-20 yrs.

Thanks for your advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Knowledgeable opinions please-28070-pine-drive-photo.jpg  

kmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

I am not sure what you mean the roofer doesn't want to deal with it. He doesn't have the option to "not deal" with something he did wrong.

There is a real simple solution here. Tell the roofer he needs to come back and install EPDM (Rubber).

ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ParagonEx For This Useful Post:
kmfa (11-07-2013), mj12 (11-07-2013), Windows on Wash (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 12

Id be concerned on having the original installer put a EPDM roof on it if he is caulking what I would presume to be nail heads on a self adhered sheet...

Call a real low slope contractor, get an estimate to do it right and hand to the original "roofer"
1985gt is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1985gt For This Useful Post:
kmfa (11-07-2013), ParagonEx (11-08-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #4

Thanks for your advice. We're getting a different contractor at this point because he came back with a $2200 quote to fix it and we've already received a quote less than half that from another contractor who will do a dens-deck with a TPO membrane.

It's a tough situation because the inspector thought the flat roof membrane was under the peel and stick so it was approved originally and then reopened with a correction notice when the section leaked and we realized the membrane was removed. So, bottom line is we paid as soon as the inspector gave final approval so he has his money and now wants more.......

Another contractor mentioned Duro-lock who will fabricate the membrane but there seems to be more options than I would have realized for flat roofing.
kmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 144

Imposable to tell much from that picture, but is there any way to frame that roof differently so it's not so flat and not have to deal with all the BS from then on?

Tags
flat roof, material, membrane