Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Which kind of roof coating to use to treat low pitch mod bit roof?

My city row house is 100+ years old and has a low pitch modified bitumen roof. It looks like a one piece asphalt or tar sheet covering of the roof. I bought the house 7 years ago and never had it treated, I think it looks like it hasn't been done in at least 10 years. The roof has no leaks but some little cracks in the cover and the paler color than the neighbor's indicate that the time is due perhaps.

The current covering is silver with some patches of black surfacing up. I imagine the black is indicative of wear and tear and the silver is the original, healthy finish. At least the neighbor's is all solid silver.

I noticed that the brand Henry at the Home Depot has several grades of tar/asphalt roof covering that comes in 5 gal buckets. I was wondering which grade to use to apply over my roof. I don't think any of them match the current silver of my and my neighbor's roofs though. The roof area is approx 900 sq ft.

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Low Slope Roofing

If it had aluma coating on it before that's what you want to use now. Just make sure to prep the area good.

1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1985gt For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Non-fibered aluminum coat is what you want. Check your local roofing or bldg supplier. It's a relatively cheap product but that's all you need.
Very important and easy maintenance that you really should do every 3-5 years depending on the beating your roof takes. The sun is the worst enemy of your type of roof and keeping it coated can extend the life a great deal so it's worth keeping up on.

The elastomerics and other expensive coatings are not necessary on your roof if it still has integrity. Simply clean all loose debris off and roll out the aluminum. Doesn't have to be neat, just has to cover everything black.

Normally this is also the time to check all your perimeter and penetrations and re-flash them with mastic and webbing prior to coating. It's another simple process that can save you many hassles and dollars in the future.
amakarevic (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

HydroStop or Gaco is what we have used in the past.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
HydroStop or Gaco is what we have used in the past.
But isn't that like $8/gal vs $80/gal WoW?
The reason I told him it's not necessary is he is just talking about maintaining a sound roof. Not repairing a leaky shot one.
amakarevic (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985gt View Post
Just make sure to prep the area good.
what do you recommend to be done in preparation?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
But isn't that like $8/gal vs $80/gal WoW?
The reason I told him it's not necessary is he is just talking about maintaining a sound roof. Not repairing a leaky shot one.
shoot...probably more these days.

Agreed...just commenting on what we use. The Gaco stuff is supposed to last for close to 20 years.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #8

my local Roof Center says a 5 gal bucket of non-fibered aluminum coating is $80. does anybody know what the coverage is for a single 5 gal bucket?

Last edited by amakarevic; 02-25-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
my local Roof Center says a 5 gal bucket of non-fibered aluminum coating is $80. does anybody know what the coverage is for a single 5 gal bucket?
A lot. Figure 100sf/gal should be sufficient. Do it on a moderately warm, dry day for best results.
Clean any and all loose debris off the roof. Blower is fine. No need to wash it unless you feel like it. Use mastic and 4" cotton mesh to re-seal all your penetrations and any cracks in the field or along the perimeter. Make sure the roof is dry and apply with the biggest roller you can find. 9" will get the job done but 18" are more efficient.

Also store the buckets upside down helps to mix it easier. mix VERY well as one part will be very shiny and the other brown. Mix it until you see no more brown and roll away.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 02-25-2014 at 10:15 AM.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (02-25-2014), Windows on Wash (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
Low Slope Roofing

Generally just blow the roof off. IF there is any areas that are suspect a good stiff broom and maybe some water.

The surface must be completely dry. Any moisture trapped will shorten the life of the coating in that area, including moisture you can't see between the layers.

If you make repairs they must sit uncoated for 30 days. Coating around them is fine, then just coat over them.

Biggest things to remember. Clean clean clean, no dust no moisture. And mix very well, a 1/2 power drill and a good mixer until its completely mixed. We will drill a hole the size of the shaft of the mixer in a lid. remove the lid from the bucket, but the mixer, and lid with a hole in it connect to drill.

Aluma coating has a tendency to go everywhere you don't want it to be. Wear old clothes and throw them away if you get any on you.

The biggest thickest nape roller you can find.

1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1985gt For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (02-25-2014)

Tags
modified bitumen, roof