Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Kickout Flashing

A complete rookie here, looking for a little advice and info, so please bear with me.

The house I purchased does not have kick flashing where the breezeway meets the house and garage. The house has vinyl siding and it was recommended by the inspector to have that done at some point. I guess my question is, is this something that I can do myself with little risk of making the situation worse.

Originally my thought was, caulk the kick flashing piece to the wall and it would likely need to go under a couple shingles to fit properly? As I look into it a bit more, it sounds like the kick flashing that comes in contact with the vertical wall needs to go under the siding, meaning I would potentially need to cut a groove or a slit for it to fit into? This is the part that I am hesitant about.

Thoughts, recommendations, opinions?

Thanks!

splintner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Kickout Flashing

Post a picture.
Caulking is for looks, not to be counted on to keep water out.
Any siding job done right does not need caulking.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
tinner666 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Kickout Flashing

Under the shingles/water resistive barrier (housewrap/builders paper), no caulking; http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...-intersections

How to resize photos to post them here.

Gary
Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Kickout Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
Under the shingles/water resistive barrier (housewrap/builders paper), no caulking; http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...-intersections

How to resize photos to post them here.

Gary
Base flashings, including kick-out flashing, is supposed to be attached to the roof only, not to the rising wall/chimney etc. The vertical leg is supposed to be allowed to "float" up/down, in/out with thermal change. The pictures in this tutorial show otherwise.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (05-17-2013), sixeightten (05-16-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #5

Kickout Flashing

Thanks, jagans, I didn't even notice that in the pic. Lol, last year I replaced 35 chimney chases-- rake flashing times 9 pieces each side and 1/3 were nailed to the plate (and the roof) behind the T1-11 we never removed, lot of bar work... Gary
Old 05-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Kickout Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
Thanks, jagans, I didn't even notice that in the pic. Lol, last year I replaced 35 chimney chases-- rake flashing times 9 pieces each side and 1/3 were nailed to the plate (and the roof) behind the T1-11 we never removed, lot of bar work... Gary
Hi Gary. My wife watches those home improvement shows in the evening. Ive worn a path in the rug walking out of the room because I cant watch them do things wrong and not say something.

At least on this forum the pros like you know what they are doing !

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #7

Kickout Flashing

I ALWAYS get a laugh with TOH on TV, (same, my wife watches it- I leave the room for "thirsty now' lol.)... Gary