Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

Share |
Question

joining sheathing panels on roof

i was wondering if this is a sketchy way to assemble roof sheathing from multiple panels. the + section does not seem to solid to stand on. was wondering what i should do to reinforce it. was thinking of putting a 2x4 between the rafters and along the + line that's perpendicular to the rafters or perhaps use some steel connectors for lumber.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
joining sheathing panels on roof-shed_roof_1.jpg   joining sheathing panels on roof-shed_roof_2.jpg  
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
i was wondering if this is a sketchy way to assemble roof sheathing from multiple panels. the + section does not seem to solid to stand on. was wondering what i should do to reinforce it. was thinking of putting a 2x4 between the rafters and along the + line that's perpendicular to the rafters or perhaps use some steel connectors for lumber.

thanks
You have a 100% certified mess.I would NOT walk on that.First the seams and corners should NEVER be free floating.They should meet and end on a truss.I would pull the plywood and set some trusses equal to the existing trusses.2nd the plywood needs (IMO) a stagger of at least 4'(IMO).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

I hope it isn't nailed too tightly. You'll tear it up pretty bad when you remove it. Each piece has to be cut so it hits the center of a rafter. Very little scrap though as long as you laid the rafters out on 16" centers. And offset the rake so the first sheet, and the first 1/2 sheet correctly. The cut-off usually fit on the other rake.
Be careful taking it down.

BTW, it that's thin 3/8" -1/2" osb, I would put 2x4's between the rafters at the horizonal joints so each sheet lays on it when you reinstall them.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #4

Question

i was wondering if it would be OK if i put a piece of 2x4 perpendicular to rafters to cover one axis of the + joint, if that would reinforce it? i would still have horizontal joints though.

this is on a shed that's 11x9
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #5

as attached...
Attached Thumbnails
joining sheathing panels on roof-shed_roof_3.jpg  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #6

Question

i was wondering what's done when rafters are longer than 8' (standard OSB pane length) and you have to join two pieces of sheathing vertically. in that case, you will have a seam that goes across rafters and not alongside one.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic;609622[B
]i was wondering what's done when rafters are longer than 8' [/b](standard OSB pane length) and you have to join two pieces of sheathing vertically. in that case, you will have a seam that goes across rafters and not alongside one.
Oooh, man. I'm sorry, but you need to get down off the roof and re-group. I think you have the sheathing turned the wrong way. Plywood and OSB (ORIENTED strand board) have more strength in one direction than the other.

4x8 panels are laid with the 8' side parallel to the ground with the 4' side landing on a rafter/truss. "H" clips are called for in some instances between rafters along the 8' side and help maintain proper spacing for expansion and contraction.

Tear that mess off before you go any further and someone gets hurt falling through it.

edit: see housegsx's picture below for a stagger example.

Last edited by seeyou; 03-15-2011 at 06:28 AM.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #8

You would use sheathing clips. H-clips.

housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housegsx For This Useful Post:
seeyou (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #9

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
I think you have the sheathing turned the wrong way. Plywood and OSB (ORIENTED strand board) have more strength in one direction than the other.
which side goes inside and which goes out ?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
which side goes inside and which goes out ?
Usually doesn't matter. I like to put the rougher side up for less chance of slipping when walking on it. .

It does need to be oriented with the 4' dimension parallel to the rafters and the 8' dimension perpendicular to the rafters.
amakarevic (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #11

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Usually doesn't matter. I like to put the rougher side up for less chance of slipping when walking on it. .

It does need to be oriented with the 4' dimension parallel to the rafters and the 8' dimension perpendicular to the rafters.
but you told me that it does matter above...

OK, i do have the 4 side parallel to the rafters and the 8 side perpendicular but doing it like that you will inevitably have a seam perpendicular to the rafters, unless your rafters are 4" or shorter. but i don't have H brackets in between panels. i would think if i use connectors on the inside to reinforce the seam, it would suffice.

so then i shouldn't have to tear the whole roof, just the end where the + incorrect joint is and trim the other side to the first next rafter and then cover the rest.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic;610026[B
][/b]but you told me that it does matter above...

OK, i do have the 4 side parallel to the rafters and the 8 side perpendicular but doing it like that you will inevitably have a seam perpendicular to the rafters, unless your rafters are 4" or shorter. but i don't have H brackets in between panels. i would think if i use connectors on the inside to reinforce the seam, it would suffice.

so then i shouldn't have to tear the whole roof, just the end where the + incorrect joint is and trim the other side to the first next rafter and then cover the rest.
No I didn't - apparently you miss-understood.

Yes, you will have a seam(s) perpendicular to the rafters. That's of no concern if you have the OSB oriented right. The joint between the rafters and having the joint in two rows of sheathing stacked is the concern.
Attached Thumbnails
joining sheathing panels on roof-stagger.jpg  
amakarevic (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #13

your sheathing is supposed to break at a 8ft point and in the middle of your rafter ( or the center ) it does matter which side is up the rough side goes up where the lines are at , stagger your sheets 8ft and 4ft if its possible its for strength , apply your H-clips , nail your sheathing every 6" inches on the outside and every 8"inches in the center and be careful i cannot stress that enough
fulton 22175 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fulton 22175 For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #14

Question

why is it important which side is up, other than for friction when walking ?

so let me know what you think of my plan to fix this (assuming it is not perfect to have the wrong side up, this is a shed for god's sake and it's not all so black and white, if it lasts 20 yrs, that's good...):

the part between the front of the shed and where the mistake is (the + joint) is only about 25% of the roof. i was gonna nuke that part and then also nuke the side on the other part of the + but just to the middle of the next rafter. i can take nails out and sister that rafter on both sides so that the nails go into the sisters and not into the rafter because both the rafter and the sheathing in that area will have too many holes from before. then resheath what i nuked, the proper way. i still won't have the H clips along horizontal joints but then again just think outside the box for a second - if i connect the s**t out of the panels using steel wood connectors (that you can get in the same section of big box stores as decking connectors), then that should emulate the strength of H connectors, should it not ?

please let me know if this sounds like a plan

i know y'all think by the code but i stress this is not a house, it's a shed and it doesn't have to be built to survive a nuclear attack.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #15
Shut in w/o Home

The time and effort you will likely spend doing it wrong will probably equal the time and effort you'd spend doing it right.

You asked for advise. You've been given the same answer from numerous different people. I have nothing more to say.
MJW (03-16-2011)

Tags
rafters, sheathing