Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #1

Share |

Intersecting "W" valley at different angles question

Hello everyone,
I am re-roofing and have a question about th evalley flashing. I am using 18" "W" flashing beacuse I like the looks over a closed cut valley. My question is I have a 4:12 pitch(main roof)that transitions into a 2.5:12 pitch(over porch) and the valley flashing needs to overlap but the angle changes. How do I go about making the two pieces overlap far enough? I know I will have to custom cut the bottom edge of the upper piece but was wondering if I caulk it, rivet, solder or use plumbers lead to get it right? I have included some drawings that I have done because I don't have any pics. of it right now. I will try and get some pics. asap. I was just wondering if you all could help me out? I do live in Northern California but we never see snow just rain. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Intersecting "W" valley at different angles question-porch-reno.-pic.jpg   Intersecting "W" valley at different angles question-porch-reno.-pic2.jpg  

HanksLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #2

Plumbers Lead and a rubber mallet work well for tough transitions.

Otherwise, you will have to create a crimp in the upside down "V" and that might wind up leaking, but you could always solder that if you know how to.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #3

Hello,
You need to center the valley metal in both valleys about 1 foot apart. Slowly bring them together. The 2.5/12 will obviously go under the 4/12. You will need to trim metal off the 2.5/12 piece as they come together. You should find a nice transition point somewhere there. You should still have enough metal going under the 4/12 to install some flexible sealant.
This is how we do them in Alaska. We have snow sit on them for 6 to 7 months and don't have problems.

Keith
roofboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #4

thanks, I will try one of these ideas. I'm starting all of the flashing tonight.
HanksLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote