Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Expert (on my house)

Share |

Intersecting roof help

We're 1/2 way through with remodeling when we discovered a roof framing problem. We have a traditional gable roof with an intersecting roof with unequal spans. I searched everywhere to find out just this much info. Normally, from what I've gathered, a valley rafter continues on to the main roof ridge board but in our case the valley rafters tie off at the intersecting ridge board and the ridge board continues on another 5 feet. Someone-in the past- has removed whatever had tied this structure to the main ridge. The nails are there but I cannot figure out where it had been attached to. It's just hanging.
So- please- how do I fix this? It does NOT lie directly underneath the main ridge.
A- I brace it off with additional 2x6's on each side and lag bolts and continue under the main ridge where I can go vertical.
B- I carry the load to the next interior wall
C- I just angle it to the main beam and pray like hell
Attached Thumbnails
Intersecting roof help-dscn0718.jpg   Intersecting roof help-dscn0719.jpg   Intersecting roof help-dscn0720.jpg  

cjanlui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Intersecting roof help

Sorry. I'm just getting cross-eyed trying to figure this out from the pics. What's the loose board? Where are the valley rafters? Any outside pix?

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Intersecting roof help

Often a valley is attached to a nailer, 'laid' and nailed across the existing sheathing. And there is no requirement for a valley rafter to connect to the existing ridge board.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Expert (on my house)

Intersecting roof help

Sorry, the 3rd picture is the ridge board from the intersecting roof. it appears, in the picture that it is attached but it is just hanging there, not attached to anything.
It also seams to be sagging as the distance between it and the ceiling joists differs 1-1/2" from where it starts to where it just hangs there.

the valley rafters are both connected to the ridge board that's just hanging
cjanlui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

Intersecting roof help

OK. I think I have it. The ridge board has a 'tag' end that wasn't cut off. Probably has no bearing on anything, other than looking tacky. Looks like a lo-pitch roof. Details are just too vague to be sure what to advise you on this one.
Do you have a carpenter friend who could take a look at it.