Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulation Baffles

Does anyone know if there are rigid insulation baffles other than the foam or thin plasic versions? Both of these versions crush easily when insulation batts press against them. I have a Cape Cod style house where there were foam insulation baffles between the sheathing and the insulation but either the insulator put batts that were too thick or the foam baffles just aren't strong enough because they are crushed flat and I have no air flow. I am getting ice as a result and some mold forming in the crawl space in the eave.

mkeranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Insulation Baffles

I would remove the old,install raftermate continuosly for proper breathing,then have a contractor install spray foam insulation to the back of the raftermate,a couple inches(R-7 PER ")Then install fiberglass for the rest of the space w/paper facing you can fold onto the rafters and staple--then install the sheetrock,here`s some pics of what happened to a house w/not enough fiberglass insulation,and plastis(like tyvek)installed to the beams before sheetrocking it,all the water stains are from condensation problems w/this systemhttp://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/sho...ile=4 771&s=0 Good luck!

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #3

Insulation Baffles

wow, that is some system described above.

The 1st proper vents available were made of heavy duty card board.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Insulation Baffles

I hear you bob,did you look at the pics,probably same set-up as his,with a 2x6 rafter,it is virtually impossible to get the proper (code)R-value on these houses(in NY it`s R-38),w/ the spray foam you get a lot closer to it +the spray foam will harden to the back of the raftermate and keep the air channel strong,the pics show the damage from condensation- the cost of the system may be more than standard but it pays for itself over time

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Insulation Baffles

Thanks for both of your replies, Roofing God and Big Bob. I have 2x8's with 6 inch thick batts (R19). There are foam insulation baffles, but they are crushed. I shoved 1x2's up there on edge and this made for some airflow and it seems to be working reasonably well, so I think if I could just find some rigid insulation baffles that didn't crush, I could pull out the foam ones and slide in the rigid ones. I don't want to have to take out the drywall or take off the roof sheathing. I don't have a moisture/black mold problem yet... but if I don't do anything I will have.

Any suggestions on a brand name of rigid insulation baffle that will not crush?

Thanks, Mike
mkeranen is offline   Reply With Quote