Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #1

Share |

Insulating roof

I have a 100 year old house that basically has no insulation. The problem we have is how to do it. There are dormers on each side of the house .. a hip roof? (so you view the "roof" on the inside..upper most part of ceiling is flat, then slanted ceilings). There is no room to put in the styrofoam baffles in to allow air flow. Could we just blow in insulation in those areas so there's no air movement and just add soffit vents where ever we can get them? Right now we have a ridge vent (had new roof put on) but no soffits. The outside roof has no soffit, it just continues the slant. It's hard to explain...but my attic is warmer than my house....

Last edited by skits; 03-19-2006 at 01:13 PM.
skits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:38 AM   #2

Insulating roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by skits
I have a 100 year old house that basically has no insulation. The problem we have is how to do it. There are dormers on each side of the house .. a hip roof? (so you view the "roof" on the inside..upper most part of ceiling is flat, then slanted ceilings). There is no room to put in the styrofoam baffles in to allow air flow. Could we just blow in insulation in those areas so there's no air movement and just add soffit vents where ever we can get them? Right now we have a ridge vent (had new roof put on) but no soffits. The outside roof has no soffit, it just continues the slant. It's hard to explain...but my attic is warmer than my house....
Do you have an attic?

Is the attic space finished (living space)?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
aka:awesomedell

Send a message via MSN to housedocs

Insulating roof

Hate to say this but without soffit vents in place that ridge vent was a total waste of time & money & your roofer should have told you this. I would have the same question for you as the previous poster, do you have an attic at all & if so what kind of access do you have to it?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #4

Insulating roof

If his house is like mine he probably does have a short attic from the second floor. Then the ceiling is nailed to the underside of the rafters on the outside edges where the ceilings slope down quickly. We call them story and a half, where a full 2 story has straight ceilings and walls.. It is hard to insulate those sloped ceilings. Blowing them full is about all you can do, I think.--d--
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
MJW

Insulating roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by housedocs
Hate to say this but without soffit vents in place that ridge vent was a total waste of time & money & your roofer should have told you this. I would have the same question for you as the previous poster, do you have an attic at all & if so what kind of access do you have to it?
It will still vent. It wasn't a complete waste. It won't draw as well, but heat has to go up and moisture finds it's way out. It would work BETTER IF it had soffit vents.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #6

Insulating roof

Yes, I have an attic and it is considered a story and a half. The ridge vent was put in so we could eventually put in the soffit, but to add the soffit means it has to be able to reach the attic and there's no room for the baffles and insul. The ends (gable ends?) are brick. Another problem with insulating is from the attic to the basement is open on the ends (gable). I was once told to blow in insul in the dormers and pack it so there was no air movement, then insul the floor of the attic. That was before the ridge vent. (BTW, I'm the wife, spouse has decided not to think about it anymore.) I'm ready to hire someone, but once we did get estimates and they were all over the place, so we just didn't know which one knew what they were doing. I'm the do-it-yourselfer and hubby is tired of the money pit I chose.
I appreciate the discussion and hopefully will get some answers to spark his interest (and believeability) that we can do this.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #7

Insulating roof

I forgot to add, the attic is probably 4-5' at the peak and unfinished. Access is through a small opening in the bathroom ceiling.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #8

Insulating roof

Can you post a picture of the outside of the roof and of the inside of the attic that you need to put insulation in?

How wide are the roof rafters? (4,6,8,10 inches)

How far apart are the roof rafters spaced?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:13 PM   #9

Insulating roof

I think they're 2' thick..2x6 or 2x8 .if that's what you mean, spaced 12 inches apart. It's dark now, so I can't take a pic, but imagine a long house like a ranch with another ranch going in the other direction in the middle, the former being the longest. Main problem is lack of space for baffles.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:25 AM   #10

Insulating roof

What state are you located in?
Colder (winter) states require more insulation then warmer southern states.

If you live in a warmer state then the insulation thickness would be less.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:15 PM   #11

Insulating roof

I certainly know that. I'm in Wisconsin. We know insulation. We insulate everything.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:22 AM   #12

Insulating roof

If you do have 8 inch wide ceiling joists then you should have room for the vent baffle and some insulation. Your state recommends about R-49 for the attic but you may not have enough room for that near the soffits.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:54 PM   #13

Insulating roof

That's the problem, there is no room for the baffles. So should I just fill the space so no air can flow and then find SOMEPLACE to vent? How many soffit vents do I need with a ridge running the whole (basically) length of the house. Percentage?