Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #1

Share |
Question

?an Insulated Flexible Duct - half attached and half unattached ?

Hi Everyone,

Just last week I discovered that my HVAC Insulated Flexible Duct is half attached and half unattached in the attic to the vent? So the warm air leaks out in the attic causing the dam/mold around that area and water leaking into the insulation of the duct, because I don't know what to do at that point, I just stapled the insulated flexible duct to the plywood (SEE THE 2ND PICTURE). I know that I have to replace the duct since the insulation is wet, but before replacing it I want to know how to correct the problem because to me it seems like the duct didn't connect to the vent correctly because looking at THE 1ST PICTURE (which is the bathroom exhaust fan duct), the duct is connected to the vent very secured. I live in Minnesota and my roof has alot of snow on.
So the questions I have are:
1. By looking at the 2nd picture, what should I do to the duct since the warm air still leaks out in the attic? How to connect the duct to the vent corretly like the one on the 2nd picture?
2. The plywood under the roof around the leaking area is wet and mod. Is there anything I should do to stop the wet/mod? Is the plywood still okie or do I need to replace it in the spring?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
?an Insulated Flexible Duct - half attached and half unattached ?-img_0048.jpg   ?an Insulated Flexible Duct - half attached and half unattached ?-img_0053.jpg  

tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

The vent installed in your roof has a round extension coming down out of the bottom of it and the flexible tubing is clamped to it.
If you completely remove the tubing you should be able to see it.

Rather or not the plywood needs replaced will be determined this spring when you further investigate the situation at roof level.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
The one

Theres nothing u can do about the mold... An whoever hooked it up didn't know what the were doing..if u are going to replace it,do it just measure the correct size hole an get one to fit it. Or buy some spray foam to cover the hole until u get it fixed
Jone32 is offline   Reply With Quote