Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Installing Soffit and Facia???

I have a question...

how do i install soffit and facia on my house? I am using aluminum soffit and facia.

I had to over hangs on my gabe ends of my house. I extended the overhangs on the gable ends to 12 inches.

I am trying to put soffit and facia on the overhangs on the side of the house, but how do i finish it off when i get to the gable end to start going up to the peak of the roof.

I hope you understand what i am trying to ask. Where the gable overhang meets the overhang on the side of the house. How do i finish it off to make it look like one continuous soffit.

I snapped a chalk line along the wall and put an "F Channel" all along the wall. would you put another "F Channel" nailed to the facia board so the soffit slides in and kind of floats, or would you nail the soffit to the rafter boards underneath the overhang.

I am new to this so sorry for all the question. I just dont know what to do when i get to the gable ends to make it match up with the overhang on the gable ends.

Vikeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Log-Style Home Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

I believe you are asking how to put a level return on, commonly called a soffit or cornice return. Basically, you attach a triangular 2x to the bottom of your fly rafter on the gable end, (bottom level, hypotenuse cut at the same pitch as the roof) using nails and construction adhesive, then run a 2x6 from there back to the house sheathing on the eave side, (level with the bottom of the eave fly rafter. If using F- channel this would go on the 2x6 the depth of the soffit then this is wrapped with fascia first before the gable ends are done, work from the bottom up. Takes longer to explain then to actually do.

North Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

please can someone tell me where i can download or print instructions for putting timber facias and soffits up on a house. thank you

cybersales@hotmail.co.uk
cybersales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Depending on the brand, most have a DIY type of installation information available, just ask for it. Time Life books and the big box stores all have books that explain the basic installation.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote