Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

Installing safety rails on flat roof of building

hi there,

I am a safety officer for a manufacturing plant. I am looking at installing safety guardrails along the edge of the roof. The roof is gravel and tar. I was hoping to form a perimeter around our commercial building while we can probably install it ourselves, consider how many welder and related tradesmen we have.

Could anyone give me more info on how to go about this process, or any companies that distribute the guardrails?
jets4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Commercial Flat Roofing

It's good idea for the rail however, it's not as simple as welding some pipe together and bolting it in.

There are very strict multiple OSHA standards regarding fall protection and low slope roofs. Many are changing as I write this. "generally" low slope fall protection is covered under standard #1926.502 (construction). There are others under the "general use" standards.

IF you indeed have a Built up with gravel roof (tar and gravel) and you want a permanent rail, each post location will have to have a hole cut in to the roof down to the decking, Post secured and a "Pitch Pan", "Pocket" or whatever the regional dialect calls it installed around each one, insulation filled in around the pan, flashed into the roof system, partially filled with concrete and topped off with pourable sealant or roof cement.

The rail cannot be secured to the outside edge of the roof, there must be a set back. It changes with roof dimensions, building height, parapet wall height etc. however a "rule of thumb" is six feet from the perimeter edge.

There are "temporary" perimeter rail systems that can be used. I would recommend looking at Blue Water Manufacturing.
Talos4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Just curious what is the intended purpose of your roof that you feel the need to erect a permanent safety system?

I'm not sure a welder would do that well making the posts water tight through the roof. good luck.

look at www.garlockchicago.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote