Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Installing New Roof

We are just about ready to install the sheathing on the roof (6:12). We are going to use 5/8" or 3/4" sheathing on the roof so that we don't get any sags from all the sitting snow (Eastern Ontario, Canada). Once the sheathing goes on...I'd like to use a good underlayment, not the black stuff....whats a good synthetic cover to use under the shingles?

Do I need ice guard for the lower part of the roof or is the sythetic underlayment good enough? For the edges of the roof do I have to put that metal lip all along the edges everywhere on the roof or just on the lower sloped part where the water will run and ice might build up?

The cabin is 16x32 ... would one of those twirly vents be good enough or do I need 2? Thanks for the info

PaoloM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Installing New Roof

Here's what you do.....

Get some Edco steel drip edge for all the roof edges. Put I&W shield of your choice two rows up, then put some Certainteed roofer's select tar paper on the rest. Shingles, I recommend Landmarks. It's all we try to sell. Then put a vented ridge on. I recommend Omni roll. You will have no problems.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote