Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Share |

Installing hip roof vents

My decision to install 2 skylights on the south facing side of the roof of my garage has prompted me to consider venting the roof. 6 years ago I insulated my garage walls and covered them with OSB. I also hung drywall on the ceiling joists and laid fiberglass batts on top of that drywall. I also put those foam channels in the rafters between the insulation and roof.

Fast forward to now (and after learning a lot more DIY and how to do stuff properly), I realize I should really vent that attic space so my roof/shingles don't get cooked prematurely.

The footprint of the garage is 16x24 (maybe 20x24, can't remember right now). I don't think the ridge on my hip roof is long enough for just a ridge (and soffit) vents to do the job? Is that correct? I think that ridge is 4-6ft long. From some calculators online, it seems I would need 6-8ft of venting.

I've learned that I can also install hip vents but have read varying opinions on how watertight they are. Has anyone done this? Air Vent Inc seems to have a nice product. Anyone use these?

Finally, are there other options? Because all the rafters terminate at the ridge (from what I've learned), the air between rafters will be trapped in its own rafter bay so I can't just pop in one of those low profile vents or even a turbine. I do want to keep the solution low profile. I've got a better chance of getting it approved through my HOA.

It seems like the ridge/hip vent is the best thing to do but also seems to be the toughest solution for this DIYer.

I did have to do some roof repair (fallen tree) 2 summers ago and the 4 years of extra heat on the roof don't seem to have affected it. The insulation looked good. The shingles didn't look older than expected, etc. BTW, the structure/shingles are 16 years old now.

Thanks,
Paul

atgcpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Never used them myself. I never looked at the directions either.
Venting a hips sounds problematic. It's where the ends of the planks are nailed. I guess you leave the alone and let air seep out between the cracks.
If plywood, it's solid and you can't cut it along the hip. There'd be nothing to hold it down. Drill lots of holes? I honestly don't know since I never looked it up.
Soffit vents and a power fan sound logical though. Get asolar powered one and avoi the wiring hassle if you want.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

I don't understand myself what AirVent is trying to do with those hip vents. The only time I can see them being useful is for cathedral ceilings with a hip roof. But the soffits would have to be really open to supply air for these things. Then look at the instructions for them. They don't want you to cut vent holes below the half way point of the hip. Also your cutting channels leaving 16" of solid decking in between so there may be rafter bays that aren't vented still. So they just don't make sense to me. I really like other AirVent products so I don't like bashing them.

Seems like a lot of work and expense for these things to vent only maybe 1 or 2 slots that they will allow you to open up.

If you are trying to create a vented attic, I would say to make sure you have continous soffit vents all around first, then do like tinner666 says and throw in a solar power fan. They don't pull that much air and would probably work good for this small footprint. Ridge vent may work well enough. It looks like you could get 4 ft out of that ridge which would leave you 72 sq inches for exhaust, which is close. Or you could put 2 static vents up there pretty easily. At 50 to 65 sq inches each that would work perfect as well.

I am assuming this isn't a conditioned space with the moisture from a kitchen or bath. But I still thick ventilation is important for overall attic health. I believe your shingles and sheathing will benefit from allowing the heat a place to easily escape.
roofnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply.

If I do just the ridge vent and gain that 72 inches, even if it's not as much as I need, is something still better than nothing in this case?
atgcpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

Anything is better than nothing. Got to get some of the heat out.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote