DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing a heavy Awning...Rafter end strong enough?

9K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  de-nagorg 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am wondering if the end of rafters can support a bit of weight.

I will be installing an 18' long motorized awning on my back porch. approx 130lbs.

I will be installing it under the current soffit. After some surveying, i will most likely cut rectangular holes in the soffit right where I want to attach the awning to the house.

It appears that the easiest point of attachment would at the end of the rafters.

The awning has 10 attachment points. So I will cut 10 holes along each mounting point, shim it approx 1/2-1", and install the awning with lag bolts after drilling pilot holes.

I've never drilled into the end piece of any wood like this before, so I am just wondering if it will be ok.

Here are some pics:

Gently pulling down soffit to have a peak

Joists and Rafters

The Rafter point of attachment

See less See more
#2 ·
NO.

The rafter ends are not suited to doing as you describe.

I would look for some saddle hangers to bolt through the rafters with to attach to more of the rafter.

I call them saddle hangers, but that might not be a proper name.

These hangers would slip up over the rafters and have about 6 inches or so of grip on each side of the rafter with through bolts clamping them solidly, then a part hanging down that is designed to attach your awning to, at all ten points.

ED

Reactions: Windows on Wash
#3 ·
Thanks Ed. Its a good thing I asked :)

My only problem with that is I would probably have to remove all the soffit to properly attach the hangers. The Fascia is wood, and I'm not sure which end should come out first as I've never done this sort of thing.

Maybe those Joists you see in the 2nd pic might work. The awning will just have to sit slightly further back...I'd just need to check if they are 16" apart or not tomorrow.

#6 ·
Directions just aren't too clear. It just says you should attach it to the rafters. And if your rafters are exposed, then use a hanger like Ed suggested.

I just took another look. I think the soffit is vinyl. Are vinyl soffits not screwed in? can i just start yanking them out without damage?

#7 ·
Any I've installed are nailed in with roofing nails.
Never once seem an awning hung from the raters like that. Going to make reinstalling the soffits a nightmare.
Most are installed on the wall.

#8 ·
Yea i wish I could just install it along the wall, but where my mother in law wants it, half of the span has a recessed wall.

I just talked to the manufacturer, and they said its ok to attach to the end of the rafters.

I dunno anymore, kind of on the fence. Maybe I should reinforce it with 2x4 like from that other forum.

#12 ·
As long as you're attaching to solid wood and following the specs you'll be fine.

Now if your fascia and/or rafter tails are rotted (soft) then you would obviously need to make those repairs first to ensure that you have structurally sound material to attach to.

#13 ·
Who's to say that in a year or two the rafter tails will not develop a rot, and fail?

Especially after being drilled and screwed into.

They might last for ten years, or one year.

I would still get more support than just the tails.

And we all know that a salesman at "ACME" is going to say whatever it takes to push their product over any other company.

Do whatever you are comfortable doing.

ED

#14 ·
Thanks for the input.

I'm going to put 2x4 up at all the mounting points and mount the awning attached to those new 2x4's.

I'll attached the 2x4 to the Rafter, and to the house using joist hangers.

Quick and dumb question, when attaching 2 2x4's together, what screws are best? Just 2.5" Deck Screws? Do I need to drill any pilot holes?

Thanks!

#15 ·
Deck screws are fine.

Use a bead of PL construction adhesive between the two 2X4s , this will make them one.

ED

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.