DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Install gutter apron or D style drip edge on existing roof?

34K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jmon 
#1 ·
My question: would it be okay to order some gutter apron and ask the roofers to use it or should we agree to re-installation of D-style drip edge?

Last December, our roof was reshingled with Certainteed Landmark asphalt shingles, with D-style drip edge on both rakes and eaves.

Shortly thereafter, carpenters installing new fascia removed the drip edge from an eave. Now, ten months later after long hot summer, they plan to reinstall drip edge when they put up gutters.

I would like to use gutter apron instead of drip edge, but my concerns are: (1) the roofers are totally unfamiliar with gutter apron (Nobody around here uses gutter apron); and (2) would the fact that gutter apron extends farther up onto the roof deck than drip edge mean a worse--and harmful--disruption of the shingles on the roof?

What do you think?

#2 ·
A roofs eaves can be properly flashed using gutter apron, eave flashing, drip edge and nothing but a proper overhang of the roofing material, depending on what type of environment you live in.

So the first question would be, is a gutter apron needed in your area.

In my area of Ohio, installing gutter apron or eave flashing simply is not needed and you can see this when speaking to other roofers in my area because the majority of them think drip edge is eave flashing.

The difficulty of installing gutter apron compared to drip edge or eave flashing is minimal, so it will cost a few dollars more 'labor wise' but not a major increase.

#6 · (Edited)
A roofs eaves can be properly flashed using gutter apron, eave flashing, drip edge and nothing but a proper overhang of the roofing material, depending on what type of environment you live in.
What do you mean by eave flashing? I posted a pdf with edging profiles in this discussion here which also discusses gables and when and where to use the different types of profiles: http://www.roofingtalk.com/f6/drip-edge-333/
Another discussion here: http://www.contractortalk.com/f15/drip-edge-55897/index4/#post3259330

#3 ·
Thank you for your reply, Slyfox.

We live in North Carolina where there are torrential rain storms from the tropics every year. Snowfalls are usually limited to a few inches at most, but there are occasional heavy snows (over 20 inches ten and, I think, twelve years ago).

One thing I like about gutter apron is that it's big enough to drop down into the gutter the whole length of a gutter run, even at the end where there is the most pitch.

But because gutter apron also extends farther up the roof than drip edge, I was concerned that the disruption to the shingles would be more extreme and, consequently, their strength might be compromised more by the installation of gutter apron than by the installation of drip edge. Do you think there is any reason to worry about that?

Thanks.

#4 ·
Thank you for your reply, Slyfox.

We live in North Carolina where there are torrential rain storms from the tropics every year. Snowfalls are usually limited to a few inches at most, but there are occasional heavy snows (over 20 inches ten and, I think, twelve years ago).

One thing I like about gutter apron is that it's big enough to drop down into the gutter the whole length of a gutter run, even at the end where there is the most pitch.

But because gutter apron also extends farther up the roof than drip edge, I was concerned that the disruption to the shingles would be more extreme and, consequently, their strength might be compromised more by the installation of gutter apron than by the installation of drip edge. Do you think there is any reason to worry about that?

Thanks.
Installing the gutter apron will require removal of the first course and starter strip, so there is no more of a danger as far as damging the existing shingles, just more time consuming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.