Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

Inspection failure

Hi,

No we didn't fail an inspection - the inspection failed us...

We recently found out that we have to replace our roof, as our HO insurers cancelled on us saying that our roof was a liability. That the roof needs replacing has been confirmed by several different roofing outfits.

However, the pre-purchase inspection which we had done about three months ago (we only moved in about ten weeks ago) stated that only minor repairs were needed to the roof.

Agreed, 20-20 hindsight shows us we should have got a second opinion from a qualified roofer, but surely the inspection company can't just waltz in, do a p!$$-poor job and then write a load of waiver blurb at the end of the report to indemnify themselves from the report contents? Surely a decent inspector would have seen solid (OSB) sheathing and realised that this was really bad for a cedar shake roof?

Has anyone had a similar experience and have any recommendations as to how to proceed?

Cheers
Chris

spiragui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Inspection failure

Legally the inspection company CAN waltz in and do a piss poor job, as you put it, because if you read your contract I'd be 99% sure you disclaimed them of any liability.

I have an opinion of home inspectors and for the most part it's not a high one. I have had the pleasure of meeting with some true professional home inspectors who I was pleased to meet, but I have also been on the receiving end of denfending my work against an inspector that had no clue. I came out on top every time because I know what I am doing, however it's time wasted and no doubt good will too.

I recommend every home owner thinking of buying a house ask a licensed roofing contractor to do an inspection. 9 times out of 10, be prepared to pay for this inspection. But the $300 you pay to the roofer now may save you $10,000 in the end.

If you really want to proceed with this, which I think would be time wasted but hey sometimes we fight for the principal, I think the most you will recover is the cost of the inspection. Call the people who license this inspector, around here it's the State, contact your local attorney general, contact your local bette business bureau, contact angies list, write reviews on every website you can find... but at the end of the day after all this work, if you get anything back it'll only be the inspection fee. I'm guessing $2 or 300.00.

FYI OSB is allowable by most code, but is JUNK when it comes to an exterior sheathing product. It's great for floors and interiors, but I wouldn't use it on an exterior, like a roof sheathing, if you paid me.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #3

Inspection failure

Grumpy (which is incidentally my father-in-law's nickname too...),

Thanks for replying, I was worried that my post came across as (unintentionally) slightly on the strong side and that I would be shunned by the community after only my second post!

I am under no illusion that the inspection company would pay for the roof; getting the cost of the inspection back would be my hope.

We're just going to move on, and looking on the bright side at least soon we'll have a lovely new roof instead of a rotted out cedar shake roof! Expect a bunch more questions from me regarding the re-roof soon.

Cheers
Chris
spiragui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspection, roofing, shake, sheathing