Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Share |
Default

Inside of the deck a little moist, is it normal


Hi

I had my roof done this summer. There has been pretty huge rain and quite a bit of snow this year and I haven't noticed any leaked yet.

As of now, there's a lot of snow on top of my roof. Yesterday, I went into the attic to check on the insulation. I have notices parts of the deck are a little wet. Places where there are ventilation are fine and pretty dry. The only wet part is the inside of the top of the roof. Everywhere else are dry as far as I can tell.

I am not sure if I convey adequately. There are some pictures:






There's ice on one of the roofing nail. Is it normal?





Is this normal? Should I be calling the roofer?

xusword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN
 
Roofmaster417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield and Joplin Missouri
Posts: 981
Default

Inside of the deck a little moist, is it normal


Looks to me the ice on the nailheads is a good indication that water/snow/ice is backing up under your shingles.I would call.


Last edited by Roofmaster417; 02-06-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
xusword (02-06-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Inside of the deck a little moist, is it normal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
Looks to me the ice on the nailheads is a good indication that water/snow/ice is backing up under your shingles.I would call.
thank you

Could you tell me what the cause of water backing up and what I would ask him to do? I am just curious and I want to make sure if he comes he would do the right thing.

Also, should water not be dripping through roofing nails? Earlier this year when it was raining pretty hard, I told him that I have seen trace amount of water dropping through his roofing nails and he told me that was normal. Was it poor workmanship?
xusword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
RFN-4A-LVN
 
Roofmaster417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield and Joplin Missouri
Posts: 981
Default

Inside of the deck a little moist, is it normal


Quote:
Originally Posted by xusword View Post
thank you


Also, should water not be dripping through roofing nails? Earlier this year when it was raining pretty hard, I told him that I have seen trace amount of water dropping through his roofing nails and he told me that was normal. Was it poor workmanship?
Well that changes everything.Nope,the object of having a roof is to keep ALL weather AND moisture out.It could be daming and now that you mentioned about his comments pertaining to it being normal for water to seep into your home it could very well be poor workmanship with improper nail placement.Now I would DEFINATELY call him back.Keep these pictures for your records too.If I was the type that was a good one to tell the customer its normal for water to be dripping off my nail heads.Actually your nail heads......now how about that check? Oh and from your pix it is obvious you are several stages PAST moist on the saturation scale.Although I have seen a little condensation on a nail head and that was because the customers attic door was always open and the cold outside and the forced heat in the attic caused a slight condensation but NOTHING resulting in a constant drip.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 02-06-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
Residential Roofer
 
Slyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Struthers, Ohio
Posts: 803
Default

Inside of the deck a little moist, is it normal


I wouldn't guess as to why your roof is leaking with out better pictures but there's absolutely something wrong and you should be having it looked at by the roofer.
__________________
God Family Country Work Play
Facebook <> Twitter
Slyfox Exteriors Co.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Inside of the deck a little moist, is it normal


I live in Toronto, Canada. There is a big amount of snow on the roof right now.

At this point I am worried about mold as a long term affect.

I have called up the roofer and he said that he wouldn't be able to tell what's going on by just looking at the attic and he will have to wait until the weather gets better to check on my roof instead.

I am thinking of getting a second opinion. Is it true that he can't tell what is going on by looking at the attic? After all, it is where the water comes in.
xusword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
RFN-4A-LVN
 
Roofmaster417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield and Joplin Missouri
Posts: 981
Default

Inside of the deck a little moist, is it normal


Quote:
Originally Posted by xusword View Post
I live in Toronto, Canada. There is a big amount of snow on the roof right now.

At this point I am worried about mold as a long term affect.

I have called up the roofer and he said that he wouldn't be able to tell what's going on by just looking at the attic and he will have to wait until the weather gets better to check on my roof instead.

I am thinking of getting a second opinion. Is it true that he can't tell what is going on by looking at the attic? After all, it is where the water comes in.
Anyone can assume or speculate and thats what gives wrong diagnosis for roofing problems.I agree that to find out what the problem is it will have to be looked at topside.When I do interior repairs due to water damage I put a dehumidifier in the attic to assist with the moisture issue.I feel they work great.Although I have never used one to try to remove the moisture under the roof deck.I really don't see how it could hurt.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
xusword (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Inside of the deck a little moist, is it normal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
Anyone can assume or speculate and thats what gives wrong diagnosis for roofing problems.I agree that to find out what the problem is it will have to be looked at topside.When I do interior repairs due to water damage I put a dehumidifier in the attic to assist with the moisture issue.I feel they work great.Although I have never used one to try to remove the moisture under the roof deck.I really don't see how it could hurt.
thanks

I will have to wait until this spring then.
xusword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
RFN-4A-LVN
 
Roofmaster417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield and Joplin Missouri
Posts: 981
Default

Inside of the deck a little moist, is it normal


Quote:
Originally Posted by xusword View Post
thanks

I will have to wait until this spring then.
Hopefully your warranty will still be valid then right? If not I would have them either get with it now or at least get a letter of intent showing that they have intentions on taking care of you when the weather breaks.Always cover your hinney.(Butt) (***)(Arse)

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
deck - beam to post connection (??) brocasArea001 Carpentry 21 05-11-2011 08:39 PM
Patio Around an Existing Deck tonyg Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 09-10-2009 06:57 PM
Building a deck on an inside corner ternstes Carpentry 3 06-16-2008 08:45 PM
Deck - 45 spindles - advice wanted (pics inside) Kevin K Building & Construction 21 06-06-2007 10:28 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.