Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #1

Share |

Improperly installed roof

We had a huge hailstorm last August that destroyed our roof. I hired a company that was registered with our local city offices and thought they would be good because they had registered....huge mistake! I spent all winter trying to make temporary repairs the best I could because the tar paper was pulling loose with the shingles and flying all over...we've had 40-70 mph winds most of the winter. The company I hired to replace our roof was apparently a fly-by-night company that won't return my phone calls. I was told at the time of installation the shingles were good to 110 mph.

I've learned after much research on the internet and from other companies reinspecting my roof that the shingles only had 3 or 4 nails in each shingle (some of them not in a straight line), and I think they are suppossed to have 6 nails in high wind areas, and the shingles weren't overlapped like they were supposed to be by manufacturer instructions. The shingles they put on were 3-tab Dupont and I think the shingles are good quality, but the workmanship was not. I have a huge pile of shingles in my garage I've picked up out of my yard through out the winter. Our old roof was the T-lock shingles and we never had a problem like this.

I know this is a guy's room mainly, but this frustrated woman doesn't know what to do and just would like a couple questions answered if someone wouldn't mind. I openly admit I don't know anything about roofing or shingles. Is the integrity of my roof compromised after shingles blowing in the wind all winter? Is the dirt and sand going to ruin my shingles blowing in the wind because they weren't installed correctly and haven't bonded together? If my shingles have blown in the wind all winter will they eventually bond together correctly and lay flat and protect my roof? The company that originally replaced the roof came out once and put in replacement shingles for the ones that had blown off......I would sincerely appreciate any advice someone could give me. Thank you!

ktpersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #2

Improperly installed roof

Yes, it sounds like the integrity, or sealant of the roof shingles have been compromised. They probably will not seal dow, but only the heat of summer will tell for sure, but unlikely if debris was blown under the tabs before they sealed.

Try complaining harder to the company and use the threat of the BBB, (waste of time for action, but it will be on their record.), and your states attorney generals office and the city building department.

All else, if no response, hire a lawyer and a roof consultant and go at him if he really is a fly by nighter.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote