Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Improper ventilation??

Hi,
I just bought a house located in central Arkansas. It was built in 1975 and it has vaulted ceilings. I have noticed that there is a dark substance resembling mildew or mold located on the soffits. I am trying to figure out if this is due to improper ventilation as there are no soffit vents anywhere on the house. Here is a picture of one of the dark spots:
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mechanical_prints2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Improper ventilation??

The real quick to the point answer is a definite YES!

You need to have 100 % continuos intake and exhaust ventilation with vaulted/cathedral style ceilings.

For the intake soffit vents, you need to vent out each individual rafter bay and also make sure that the insulation has a minimum of 1 1/2" to 2" clearance for air flow and does not block the soffit vents.

On the ridge of the roof, install a continuos ridge vent with external wind deflecting baffles, such as the Shingle Vent II from the Air Vent Corporation.

How many roof layers are on the home now and what is the age of the newest roof system installed?

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #3

Improper ventilation??

Thanks for the reply.

The inspector said there was one layer and that the shingles are about 5 years old. So its fairly new. I have not done a lot of roofing work so I will study up on it and get some estimates. I may do some of the work myself if I feel comfortable about it.

How hard is it to install the ridge vent?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Improper ventilation??

Actually you don`t need soffit or ridge vent on an exterior rafter space,those seem more likely to have been caused by roof leaks,this quite possibly have been caused by Ice +water backups,It looks like you`ve had water running down behind the siding,do you have roof pictures?,what is the pitch?

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Improper ventilation??

Since the OP used the plural for the description of mold on the "Soffits", I presume that there are more than one are of mold stains in question.

If, as the previous post assumes, only the one stain on the gable overhanging soffit, then you more than likely have a different issue. If so, a photo of the amount of shingle overhang and if there is any ODE sheet metal drip edge installed would be helpful and also a shot looking of the roof shingles in that area.

Installing soffit vents become easier as you develop a system, by using a template and being comfortable working with a jig-saw or sawzall and having sawdust falling down towards your face and eyes.

The ridge vent is easy, but slow to do correctly for a first timer.

First read the manufacturers specifications and decide if that is something that you would like to further consider doing yourself.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Improper ventilation??

Gee Golly ed,he put a picture and circles the area ,who`s assuming anything,I`m responding directly to the posters question and area marked,I think you were assuming,,,,,or you can talk in circles some more if you like,have you tried politics???

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #7

Improper ventilation??

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. As soon as I can get back over to the house im going to get up in the attic to make sure its insulated properly and check for any leaks. I can get more pictures and get a better perspective because the first time I was there I could only look from the ground.

Once again, thank you for your replies. You have given me few ideas and I think I can do all of the work myself.