Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2003, 05:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

I'm here to help!

I am Grumpy and I am here to help. Don't worry I won't bite your head off. Contrary to my name I am quite a pleasant person.

Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I'm here to help!

Hey Grumpy I plan on installing a roof with trusses over my deck,perpendicular to existing roof. How do I tie in beams to existing wall and roof? Beams even with top plate of existing wall? Tom

clockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
Commercial Roofing

I'm here to help!

If we told you, we'd have to get rid of you.
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
PRO

Rewards Points: 75

I'm here to help!

A little more input Tom.

Bob
Old 03-30-2005, 10:50 AM   #5

I'm here to help!

We live in southwestern Pennsylvania on a hill where it can be rather windy. We are going to replace our roof this year. We are considering having a ridge vent installed (AirVent ShingleVent II or an Owens Corning VentSure Externally Baffled). Our brick home is over 50 years old. There are two existing "gable vents", however, these vents located about halfway up from the attic floor and are rectangular, they are not the triangular type that are located right up by the rafters. If we combine this type of gable vent with a ridge vent would they be likely to cancel each other out? One contractor mentioned both a ridge vent and an attic exhaust fan. He also claims that the Owens Corning rolled ridge vent is better for a windy area.

Also, the roof has no overhang, so we cannot install soffit ventilation. Would a properly installed drip edge vent be of any help? Is there still a good chance for ice & water backup even if it is properly installed. We currently do not have any ice damming problems (plenty of insulation between attic and second floor ceiling).

We are also considering GAF Slateline or Owens Corning Oakridge 30 shingles. I'm not so sure the Oakridge singles would be good for a windy hill.

One roofing contractor claims that if we install any kind of gutter screening system, it will cause icicles.

Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated to help us make some decisions.

Thanks for your time....
kmhill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:32 AM   #6
Commercial Roofing

I'm here to help!

Wow. I havenet heard most tof thos claims before, especially the icicles, but then I have never been prompted to do a study on icicles related to gutter screens. It really sounds like he doesnt want to install the gutter screens.

I like gable vents, and if they are large enough, you shouldnt need ridge vent along with it.

If youre going to remove the gable vents and install ridge vent there are venting drip edges available which your roofer should understand how to properly install. IF I can find the link, I will post it for you.

You definitely do not want a ventilation system that will short circuit one another, as it defeats the purpose of venting the intake low and the exhaust high on the roof. Ridge vent and a power ventialtor will do this.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:48 AM   #7
aka:awesomedell

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via MSN to housedocs

I'm here to help!

Since you have the gable vents, the ridge vent system isn't an approriate option. For the ridge vent system to function properly it needs to be installed in conjunction with vented soffits. For the vented soffit to work properly there needs to be a free flow of air coming in thru the vented soffit, a product called Raftermate is installed between the rafters directly above where the vented soffit panels are placed. The sq. ftg. of the soffit vents (intake vents) needs to equal that of the ridge vent (exhaust vents).

Here's a link which will explain this in ful to you and also show you what to look for to determine if your attic needs improved ventilation. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view which is freely available for download from Adobe's site. Proper Attic Ventilation

Old 03-31-2005, 01:34 PM   #8

I'm here to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB
Wow. I havenet heard most tof thos claims before, especially the icicles, but then I have never been prompted to do a study on icicles related to gutter screens. It really sounds like he doesnt want to install the gutter screens.

I like gable vents, and if they are large enough, you shouldnt need ridge vent along with it.

If youre going to remove the gable vents and install ridge vent there are venting drip edges available which your roofer should understand how to properly install. IF I can find the link, I will post it for you.

You definitely do not want a ventilation system that will short circuit one another, as it defeats the purpose of venting the intake low and the exhaust high on the roof. Ridge vent and a power ventialtor will do this.
Thanks, Aaron. We'll stick with the gable vents.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:38 PM   #9

I'm here to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by housedocs
Since you have the gable vents, the ridge vent system isn't an approriate option. For the ridge vent system to function properly it needs to be installed in conjunction with vented soffits. For the vented soffit to work properly there needs to be a free flow of air coming in thru the vented soffit, a product called Raftermate is installed between the rafters directly above where the vented soffit panels are placed. The sq. ftg. of the soffit vents (intake vents) needs to equal that of the ridge vent (exhaust vents).

Here's a link which will explain this in ful to you and also show you what to look for to determine if your attic needs improved ventilation. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view which is freely available for download from Adobe's site. Proper Attic Ventilation

I read the Proper Attic Ventilation article. We have decided to not add a ridge vent. I guess there's really nothing wrong with the gable vent system we have now. Thanks, Housedocs
Old 03-31-2005, 01:49 PM   #10

I'm here to help!

Great resource housedoc!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:58 PM   #11

I'm here to help!

My house has gable vents. I just can't see, as a practical matter, how any soffit/ridge vent system can be a better ventilation system than gaping holes in each end of the house (the gable vents). My attic stays cold in the winter and stays cooler than 120 on the hottest summer days. During the hottest months a thermostatically controlled power fan runs roughly 12 hours a day.
pipeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:15 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

I'm here to help!

gable vents work well when a directional wind passes against them and into the attic. Other than that they just kinda sit there IMO. I always encourage home owners with gable vents to install power fans.

Ridge vents work on the principal of in and out, air displacement. Hot air rises naturally. With fresh cool air entering the overhangs it forces the hot air out of the ridge vent. Without this fresh cool air a ridge vent won't even work.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:48 PM   #13
aka:awesomedell

Send a message via MSN to housedocs
Thumbs up

I'm here to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Great resource housedoc!
I've got a ton of bookmarks like that. Need to get them indexed and titled, all are freely available for linking. And alot of times it's better explained than I can do myself, Mark Twain I ain't & I know it. :D

I agree, an attic fan is a great improvement in any home!
Old 04-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #14
Commercial Roofing

I'm here to help!

Are we talking a gable fan?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 04-03-2005, 12:46 PM   #15

I'm here to help!

Aaron, I was talking a gable fan. I personally feel when ever gable vents are the only form of ventilation, a fan should be used. Otherwise we are relying on directional windows to push/pull wind from the attic horizontally.

Hot air rises, it doesn't move sideways. Some hot air will find it's way out of the gable vents without a wind but not adequate IMO, that's why I feel a fan should always be used.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.