Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #1

Share |

IKO vs. Timberline

I am getting ready to put a new roof on my house and my roofer had me sign a contract, along with providing me Timberline panel samples, which I had selected my preferred roof. He called me tonight and said that his vendor increased the prices and he is going with a new line of shingles for me to select from,....IKO. I have looked at both brands samples that he provided to me and it is evident that the IKO does not look near as dimentional as the Timberline. I am a bit put back and wondering if he is trying to push me to a lesser grade/expensive shingle, or if he is really trying to stear me toward what he calls "the better shingle". Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

lmf522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #2

IKO vs. Timberline

Tell him you don't want IKO.IMO their shingles suffer in the quality control department.They are thicker than most and seal well,but....I'll say no more and see who else chimes in

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #3

IKO vs. Timberline

Thank you. But I am concerned. I do not know the roofing industry, or shingle, industry. I understand both brands are good, but I am trying to justify my opinions. Not trying to be materialistic, but some look better than others. I am a professional working woman/mom, but shingles are the last thing I ever thought I would have to worry about. I have done the intenet research, which there is not much there, so I am concerned that I may end up being at the mercey of the roofing company. I am just wanting to know if I am being provided with the best quality roofing options at my price point.

Last edited by lmf522; 01-20-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

IKO vs. Timberline

It sounds like your roofer found out about the discount IKO is offering "nationally" after he sold you the Timberlines and is trying to add a few dollars to his profit margin.

I would not say IKO is a better class or even equal to the Timberline,
but, they are a good shingle and I have installed both with out problems.

I would be more concern with your roofer not knowing how much shingles sale for, is he a roofing contractor full time?, or someone doing a roof because he has no work in his usual field of work?
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
MJW

IKO vs. Timberline

Haha, it's funny how the companies are switching to IKO or OC lately.......Especially the ones who also use cheap labor.

It sounds to me like you don't trust the guy already. That is not a good start.

We try not to use either one of them. We usually use Certainteed Landmarks if possible, but shingles vary in quality around the country. Up here, the Landmarks are tough to beat.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
MJW

IKO vs. Timberline

Here's a little fact about the construction business........Anyone who has a full time Estimator is working on quantity, not quality. Estimators get anywhere from 30%-60% of the profit. How much is left for the things that stick with you and really matter like the labor and materials?

Check your local Craigslist for job openings in the roofing business. If most of them are for sales, you know what kind of labor they are supplying.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
I have gas!

IKO vs. Timberline

IKO is going through a series of class action lawsuits because of premature roof failures.
Stick with Certainteed or GAF Timberline.
Also if you are getting a 30 year roof make sure they use 30 year hip and ridge shingles. It seems standard practice is to use the 25 yr. 3-tab for ridges which is much less expensive.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Residential Roofer

IKO vs. Timberline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
IKO is going through a series of class action lawsuits because of premature roof failures.
Stick with Certainteed or GAF Timberline.
Also if you are getting a 30 year roof make sure they use 30 year hip and ridge shingles. It seems standard practice is to use the 25 yr. 3-tab for ridges which is much less expensive.
Using a class action lawsuit as a reason to not use IKO and than recommending Certainteed after they just settled a class action lawsuit for over 600 million makes no sense.

There's not a shingle manufacturer in the business that has not had failed shingles, not one.
They either correct the issues or sale out to one of the bigger companies.
IKO and Certainteed both stayed in business.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
Residential Roofer

IKO vs. Timberline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Haha, it's funny how the companies are switching to IKO or OC lately.......Especially the ones who also use cheap labor.

It sounds to me like you don't trust the guy already. That is not a good start.

We try not to use either one of them. We usually use Certainteed Landmarks if possible, but shingles vary in quality around the country. Up here, the Landmarks are tough to beat.

Landmarks are a good shingle here in my area also, I would not call them better than Timberline tho, equal sure, not better tho.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
Residential Roofer

IKO vs. Timberline

Quote:
Here's a little fact about the construction business........Anyone who has a full time Estimator is working on quantity, not quality. Estimators get anywhere from 30%-60% of the profit. How much is left for the things that stick with you and really matter like the labor and materials?

Check your local Craigslist for job openings in the roofing business. If most of them are for sales, you know what kind of labor they are supplying.

I wouldn't recommend sites like craigslist to an enemy,
they do not check for insurances, license, BBB rating or anything else.
A roofer simply tells them who they are, pays a couple bucks and bam they are accepted as a "real" company.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #11
MJW

IKO vs. Timberline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
I wouldn't recommend sites like craigslist to an enemy,
they do not check for insurances, license, BBB rating or anything else.
A roofer simply tells them who they are, pays a couple bucks and bam they are accepted as a "real" company.
I wasn't recommending CL. Just stating what kind of crooks can be on there.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #12
I have gas!

IKO vs. Timberline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
Using a class action lawsuit as a reason to not use IKO and than recommending Certainteed after they just settled a class action lawsuit for over 600 million makes no sense.

There's not a shingle manufacturer in the business that has not had failed shingles, not one.
They either correct the issues or sale out to one of the bigger companies.
IKO and Certainteed both stayed in business.
Yep, you're right. I stand corrected.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #13
Residential Roofer

IKO vs. Timberline

Quote:
I wasn't recommending CL. Just stating what kind of crooks can be on there.
Sorry, i misread your post.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #14

IKO vs. Timberline

Thanks Everyone! Unfortunately my roofer is giving me "no" product options at this point other than the IKO. He originally provided me with the Heritage Series and Timberline to chose from. When he stopped by the other night, he said that he closed his account with that company and has a new one with another supplier and that my only option is the IKO. My concern is that he is steering me to a lesser quality shingle. What I am learning from your posts is that neither the IKO or Timberline are really any different. Or maybe Timberline is a "little" bit better shingle. It is very apparant to me that the Timberline 30 year Architectural shingle has a lot more dimension and that is what I really like about it. The IKO does not have near as much dimension and they look very flat, similar to a 3 tab. I believe they are more of what you would call the Shadow look. I know when selecting a shingle there is a lot more to consider than the "dimensional look". However, for me, I have a very small cottage style home, and a very steep roof, so my house will look like mostly roof. That is why I am concerned about the actual look of the shingle. My hope is to have the shingle look/appear as much like a cedar shake style roof as possible, and I felt the Timberline was the best selection for this. I do not want my roofer pulling a fast one on me by making me select a lesser quality roof just to make a couple of extra bucks. My insurance company did not okay a ridge vent so the roofer is throwing that in for me. I think he is trying to make up for this. I am going to have a conversation with him, but want to ensure I know what I am talking about when it comes to me demanding that he honor what he originally offered to me, and that he wrote up in the contract that I "already signed".
Old 01-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #15

IKO vs. Timberline

Oh, fyi, I also emailed IKO to ask them to confirm if they are offering a nationwide sale right now and am awaiting a reply. The more facts I have to present to my roofer, the more likely he is going to have to honor my origianal request for the Timberline. I hope this all makes sense. Thanks.