Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #1

Share |

IKO...feedback

I just had our new roof installed and tonight my wife gives me an article in the paper in the home advice section about someone who wrote in complaining that their 30 year IKO rook was falling apart after 12 years, I then started a google search for IKO complaits and a host of stuff came up..did I make a mistake installing this product, and what should I do now, the same contractor is re-siding our house with Hardy Board next week, I wonder if I should ask him about this roof and how the company will stand behind it? from what I read, they don't. Would I be out of line to tell him I want his company to warrenty the roof, seeing he never told me about the fact this company has a host of problems documented.

turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #2

IKO...feedback

Did you specify or approve the choice of roofing?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:04 AM   #3

IKO...feedback

He offered both GAF and IKO, we went with IKO becuase we saved some money, both were supposed to be highly rated, according to him, he told us that IKO went through some re-organizing a few years ago, and that they were making a great product.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

IKO...feedback

I was just on an IKO roof last week that I installed in 96, was hired to install three sky lights for the home owner. The roof is still in good condition and there is no signs/reason to think the roof will not hold up it's expected life span.

All manufacturers have had issues with their products, mistakes happen and there corrected.

Make sure you get and keep all the information about your new roof.
<> Roofing Contractor, Date Installed and Confirmation that it was installed to manufacturers specifications. (Underlayment, Fasteners, Ventilation)
<> Shingles, Material Supplier, Brand Name, Lot #, Color, Plant Name

Have your roof inspected in the eleventh month (before it's a year old) because no manufacturer can argue against a failed material claim if it's caught with in the first year and if it's "Truelly" a material issue it will show up in the first year.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #5

IKO...feedback

Thanks Sly...I think you are right no sense worrying about things you cannot change at this point, I also went with a ridge vent (cobra) their is also many different opinions on that as well. what is the concenses on ridge vents here?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
MJW

IKO...feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomangt View Post
He offered both GAF and IKO, we went with IKO becuase we saved some money, both were supposed to be highly rated, according to him, he told us that IKO went through some re-organizing a few years ago, and that they were making a great product.

To be honest, I would worry more about the Hardie than those shingles.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
MJW

IKO...feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomangt View Post
Thanks Sly...I think you are right no sense worrying about things you cannot change at this point, I also went with a ridge vent (cobra) their is also many different opinions on that as well. what is the concenses on ridge vents here?

Ridge vent works very well if the ventilation is correct otherwsie. Cobra was a decent choice.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #8

IKO...feedback

ok........whats the deal with the hardy board, its going to be delivered thurs of this week? what should I know?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #9

IKO...feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post

To be honest, I would worry more about the Hardie than those shingles.
If you aren't going to post useful information then don't post
If you have something that they need to know or an opinion of the product then state it, instead of causing someone to worry
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Residential Roofer

IKO...feedback

I purchase the majority of my materials from Banner Supply and they carry Venture, when I purchase materials from ABC Supply it's Cobra.
Both are of the same design and I have not had any recalls / problems with either.

I'm not a sider thus am not sure what MJW might have been referring to in his post. I have done a few siding jobs and we used HB twice and as far as I know we didn't have any problems, both jobs are very near my home and I see the people frequently at grocery stores, festivals, etc.
But, like I said, I'm a roofer not a sider.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote