Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #1

Share |

Identify these gutter guards?

I need to replace a few pieces of gutter guard, but can't find anything like them. Any idea what the are? They are 6 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Identify these gutter guards?-gutter1.jpg  

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

They are called junk. They belong in the recycling bin, because they do not work.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
mj12 (07-12-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
They are called junk. They belong in the recycling bin, because they do not work.
What kind do you like? Are they diy-friendly?
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Actually they work pretty well; a few pieces just don't last 6 years.

But I wasn't asking for a critique, but information so I can buy some more.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller

Actually they work pretty well; a few pieces just don't last 6 years.

But I wasn't asking for a critique, but information so I can buy some more.
My neighbor has them on her place and they do not work well. Especially with locust trees and Maples.

The best ones are the flat ones that slip under the shingles, then screw to the top edge of the gutter. All te crud washes over te top onto the ground, but water goes into the gutter.

Again, those plastice ones in thenpicture belong in the trash, because they are a waste of money.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #6

Lowes and Home Depot have them.
I've never seen one have the screens come loose like that before.
I've installed 100's of ft. of that style and never had a complaint . Even pine needles and not been a problem.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Lowes and Home Depot have them.
I've never seen one have the screens come loose like that before.
I've installed 100's of ft. of that style and never had a complaint . Even pine needles and not been a problem.
They aren't on their websites, but I will try a store. Thanks.

Granules from the shingles got stuck on them and the weight tore teh screens off. I think that is the only spot, and hopefully the roof is done with heavy shedding.
Thanks.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #8

If you plan to keep your current screens stop reading. If you're considering replacing your current screens, read on.

We own a 1935 English Tudor in the Cincinnati with a slate roof and copper gutters, downspouts and flashings. We have 90’ Beech, Elm, and Ash trees which leaves are within reach of our gutters in the fall. Our roof pitch is steep. For the first ten years without covers our maintenance required cleaning out the gutters including some 30’ high. In winters with ice storms, the ice pushed the gutters away from the house. This resulted in annual calls to our roofer.

We then installed copper screens over the gutters. We used copper since our gutters are copper and we didn’t want a chemical reaction by mixing dissimilar metals. The snow & ice obliterated the copper screen covers. For the next five springs, we removed the bent screens, cleaned out the gutters, flattened and reinstalled the screen covers. Our maintenance work had now increased.

Five years ago, Molloy Roofing Company in Cincinnati told us of a new gutter product which they had a huge success with. It’s called “Leaf Relief” gutter guards. After researching a bit, we had Molloy Roofing install copper “Leaf Relief” gutter guards. Since installed, they have required no maintenance period. We recently checked the condition of several sections of gutter and they have held up to several ice storms with no dings or dents. Anything small enough to penetrate the holes is washed through the downspouts. The Leaf Relief covers come in different materials including copper, aluminum, and stainless. They are not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. Alcoa backs it with a 10-year "no-clog" guarantee. We have no financial interest in Alcoa or Molloy Roofing Company.

C03T07C12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
Lord of Slums

Those leaf relief seem okay. The flat ones will not fit over hidden hangers. The flat style are flimsy. On those home depot junk screens, the actual screen sits above the screen. If it is on the bottom side I would say, remove them and re install because that screen can make its way to the downspout
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #10

Home Depot had them .... I 've got a couple of spare one I retrieved from my neighbor's trash bin. If you live in northern VA outside DC, I'd be happy to give you what you need ....

CitadelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote