Ideas On Airlift Water Pump - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ideas on airlift water pump

We had our water pump go out in our well, after pulling it out and finding that the pump was out my wife started a search for a new pump.
Recently she came across youtube and videos of what is called airlift water pumps, using no electricity or such, but just plain air forcing the water up.
It sounds good, but I have a question or two concerning this. First off the videos show it being used pulling water directly from the well using a small air compressor, we have a pitless connector that goes into the house, and in the basement we have a water tank.
What I want to know from anyone who has done this with a airlift water pump, can it be possible to use this method to get water in the house using the airlift and the water tank.
The water tank in the house helps pull water from the line when the pressure drops below 25psi and fills up. Can these two work in conjunction thus avoiding paying some 600 bucks or more to get new pump and wiring

Advertisement

thetimelord4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

Where do you plan to get the power from to run the compressor? If you use electricity, then you incur the cost for the compressor, the electricity, and the wiring. If you use a gasoline or diesel powered generator, you incur the cost for the generator, the wiring, and the fuel. I don't see a free lunch here.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 638

I just see no up side to trying to do it that way.
If it worked everyone would be doing it.
Go back and see some more reseach, pay attantion to how much head one of those style pumps can pull. I'd bet it's pretty low.
I think you will find it works on a the same princable as blowing across the top of a straw and drawing water out of a glass.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/venturi

Last edited by joecaption; 04-19-2012 at 01:49 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,282

Quote:
Can these two work in conjunction thus avoiding paying some 600 bucks or more to get new pump and wiring
Nope....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote