DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ideas for adding porch roof...pics!

31K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  OldNBroken 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to add a porch extension that would cover the exposed area shown in the pic (enclosed by the two brick sidewalls). I am very clear on adding ledger/even cutting back rafters if needed for the back of the porch, but have no clue what to do on the sides.

Of course the gutters will be removed, the slope of the porch roof can be code minimum or I can build whatever you guys suggest (Louisiana, no snow, just rain).

So how do i tie the new porch roof into the two side roofs! Any suggestions to make this work would be greatly appreciated.

Cant get the big picture to show, but it is in link in 2nd post...thanx

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow, what's with all the short courses in that existing roof?

Anyways, not a difficult design, you basically have to decide what pitch you want. Generally we wouldn't go less than 4/12 but you don't have snow so you could consider going less. If that's the case, I would recommend covering your new deck in a torchdown or Liberty or Flintlastic SA system.

Back to it, decide what you want for pitch and take the front left corner as your layout reference (actually I think I would hold back a foot or two at least) and go from that corner up to the valley with that pitch, come across the main deck to the other valley and back down to the same point as you started.

Can't tell you how to frame it from here but can tell you the roofing aspect. Everything from the eave to about two feet above your finished deck line needs to be torn off before framing. Once the deck is complete, install one of the above mentioned systems to the new deck and run it 18" to 2' up the existing roofs. Then drop down to the valleys and transition and tie in new shingles to match up with the old ones.

It's do-able and a fairly simple framing job for an experienced framer.

#4 ·
sounds good, i also posted in the construction thread with some crappy drawings depicting exactly what you said, which is what i figured was the way to go.....thanks!

(and if you have a sec, check that thread out and see if that is in fact what you were describing, thanks!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.