Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Icicles on Leafguard Gutters, CertainTeed Roof and Cobra Ridge Vent

We remodeled (went down to the studs) and added 3 new sections to our 1950's farmhouse 15 years ago. Last year a storm blew trees down that hit our gutters. They were the standard trough with wire mesh over the top type of gutter. We replaced them with Leafguard Gutters. Once installed, the roofline just did not look like the video or other houses we looked at so, decided to replace the hail damaged roof 5 years early (had 25 year shingles that had seen quite a bit of weather) with a CertainTeed roof and a Cobra Ridge Vent. We also had new soffit vents put in because the last time the house was painted about 5 years ago the vents were painted over. We have had our first consecutive days of snow and now have icilcles the size I have never seen before in the valleys on the front of the house, all across the front and all across the back of the house. For the past 15 years we have had small icicles on the back of the house, which faces south, and few to none on the front. The icicles we have now are 4-5' long and 6-8" in diameter in the valleys, and 3' long and 1" in diameter across the front and back. The southeast side of the house does not have icicles on the bathroom gutters/roof. The standalone garage was also done and it does not have any icicles. So, what happened and why such a significant difference?

JW Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
old timer

Sounds like ventilation issues.

please do not advertise your web-site here

dmc@RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #3

Thanks. We definitely added more soffits and in fact I was afraid too many, but the interesting thing is there is not alot of daylight in the attic area so maybe the vents are not able to get to draw for some reason.
JW Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #4

You should see your vents from in the attic. Or at least light from over the top of that 2x blocking between rafters. This will get you started: http://bct.nrc.umass.edu/index.php/p...ting-ice-dams/ http://www.homeenergy.org/consumerinfo/roofs.php
3. http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/he...96/961110.html

Be safe, Gary
Old 01-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
MJW

Seen this plenty of times. The snow gets too deep and covers the venting on the roof. Now that your venting is corrected, it doesn't have enough heat to melt open. It melts under the snow and creates ice down to the edge of the roof or in valleys. Leafguard is known for problems. Just not a good idea. The metal is cold and is up under your shingles. Water comes to it and freezes because the metal is cold. Then it creeps under your shingles or creates icicles draping over it.

You need to either hire someone or go up yourself and keep the vents open. The snow is insulating it and water is underneath, which then turns to ice when it gets to something cold.

I put it down as "maintenance". In these climates, maintenance is sometimes necessary for our roofs.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote