Icicles - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Icicles

I noticed some huge icicles in one section of my house. I had a ton there last year and I suspected it had to do with the way the bathroom fan vented. I have a split level home and the fan vented through the soffit, from the higher roof, on the lower roof where the soffit intersects. I fixed that, it vents in the basement through the wall now like a dryer.

While I still think that situation made it worse, I noticed in the past couple days a huge batch of icicles. It's been warmer out so that may possibly be a contributing factor. My attic is rather well ventilated as far as I know, and I have at least R40 in there but do want to put more.

My suspicion to this case is this:

My garage is unheated, and has a crawlspace under it that has an opening to the main crawlspace, which is conditioned space. I am suspecting that by losing heat through that garage crawlspace,that heat radiates through the concrete slab, then through the roof of the garage which is not insulated, melting the snow, then the water leaks under the unmelted snow, and gathers in that corner.

Does my suspicion sound right, or should I look elsewhere for the problem? I did notice that the snow on my car is melted in the morning even though it's not over zero out, but much warmer then it has been in the past month or so.

I plan to insulate that garage crawlspace at one point, so if my suspicion sounds right then at least I know I don't really have to worry so much about the problem now.

Oh, and that pic is actually old, I have gutters now. They are FILLED with ice.

I don't have a ladder, otherwise I'd go investigate further. I know I can't get a 100% answer without someone being able to actually look closer, but just wondering mostly if my suspicion makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Icicles-layout.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 12-20-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

Icicles

Red--You have long over hangs--they are cold----the water that melts off the roof (sun or heat loss)
will freeze there---I doubt that you have a real problem,just the nature of the roof design.

I hope you have ice and water shield for at least 6 feet under the shingles----

Not much that you will ever do to stop that--just the design and pitch---Mike--

Advertisement

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Icicles

These arn't your regular tiny icicles though, managed to snap a pic at lunch, as it's the only time it's actually light out:

I was thinking, my theory may not be plausible, given I don't have any on either side of the garage. If that opening was really the culpit, I'd have more icicles in front of the house.

Though, because of the roof configuration there, maybe I'm just getting way more water under the snow, too.

They are so big, they are scary looking lol. That could be a murder weapon.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote