Ice/ Weather Shield For Flat Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Ice/ weather shield for flat roof

I'm in the process of installing ice/weather shield flashing on a flat roof (1/4 inch pitch). The finished flat roof will be a rubber membrane (EPDM). Most ice/weather shield flashing (self adhered membrane) are made of a bitumus/ asphalt material which is not compatible with the rubber EPDM material. Does anyone know of any ice/weather shield flashing products that are compatible with the rubber roofing material such as EPDM??

Advertisement

rcassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

NO UNDERLAY FOR EPDM. EPDM is the roof. Period. It's the base, the inner-ply, and cap sheet all in one. Picture frame the perimeter of the roof with 1x8's using screws. Run the 1x8"'s 1/2" to 3/4" past the fascia and trim boards.
Fill in the entire rest of the roof with 1" ISO, then glue .060 reinforced EPDM down to that. Get a foreman's handbook for all the glue and seam specs. I can't cover all the details here.
If you don't care what the roof looks like and don't care how many wrinkles are in the finished product, you can use the .045. The wrinkles are likely to split in just a few years though. Just plan on patches every now and then.

Advertisement

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #3

Frank,
thank you for reply. This flat roof portion is for a colonial porch with flat roof. Is flashing required where the flat portion of the roof meets the exterior wall of the house?

Also- if I wanted to add decorate railings later to the flat rubber roof, would it be a problem fastening them and penetrating the membrane? Once the membrane is pentrated (screws), can it be re-sealed? What type of sealant can be used?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

A RMS strip goes along the wall under the EPDM. Look closely and you can see the screw-plates and something of the RMS strip against the wall in the background of this pic.

The EPDM runs up the wall about 10". It can have a termination bar at the top under the siding, or just nail it every 4" along the top of the EPDM and reinstall the siding.

As for the railing, you'll need pitch pockets, or blocks that are fully waterproofed to attach the railing posts too. Even with the right sealants when you attach the posts, it'll probably leak some.
Attached Thumbnails
Ice/ weather shield for flat roof-epdm-job-13-.jpg  

Last edited by tinner666; 08-21-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

As Tinner said (great helpful post by the way) I'd like to add that when you do put the posts on top fill the hole and your lag screw with silicone before you screw it in.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #6

Frank,
thank you again, you really know your stuff. I wish you worked here in NJ, I'd hire you. Contractors here are shaddy... I have more questions:

*I plan to install PVC trim as the fascia board of the porch. When should the fascia trim be installed, before or after the rubber roof? Does the rubber membrane (EPDM) wrap over the fascia board?
*Also- you mentioned "water proof blocks" for the railing installation. Would the water proof blocks be installed on top of the rubber? How would it be adhered to the rubber?

thanks again- appreciate your knowledge and feed back!

Rob
Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

"*I plan to install PVC trim as the fascia board of the porch. When should the fascia trim be installed, before or after the rubber roof? Does the rubber membrane (EPDM) wrap over the fascia board?"
Yes it does, before the drip edge goes on. I always screw a 1x8 around my outer perimeter, holding it 1/2" to 3/4" PAST the fascia. This gives me a
solid base to nail the drip-edge down. And it allows roof for a gutter to go behind it, or to just help keep water from running down the fascia. ( This is not in the book, but after going to class again and telling the Mulehide rep, he said it was at least going into the class he teaches.)

"*Also- you mentioned "water proof blocks" for the railing installation. Would the water proof blocks be installed on top of the rubber? How would it be adhered to the rubber?"
Is this railing for looks or function? If look, I'd put the roof down, then lay the blocks in place and without damaging the field of the roo, completely seal them with EPDM. Then, screw and caulk the railings into the top of them. Any leakage will then be contained. The worse that would happen, is you'd need to reset blocks some time in the future. The interior of the house shouldn't be affected.

Serve a purpose? I'm not sure what 'safety' spec would have to be followed there, but they'd need to be bolted down, and pitch pockets would be required. It coud get complicated.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #8

Frank,
thanks again- sorry to bother you but I have more follow up questions. I'm an engineer so I tend to consume myself with the details and may complicate things- sorry...

*What is the sequence- Do you add the EPDM membrane on top of the perimeter 1x8s and wrap over the fascia, then add the aluminum drip edge on top of the EPDM rubber or does the drip edge go under the EPDM membrane? If the drip edge is mounted on top of the EPDM rubber, what is used to flash/ seal the seam on the roof surface interface so water does not run between the drip edge and membrane?

*The railings are not for support, just decorative. Could you expand on what you meant? Do you recommend to completely install the roof (EPDM), then adhere the blocks to the roof on top of the EPDM, then waterproof the blocks?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Pro Slate Roofer

"thanks again- sorry to bother you but I have more follow up questions. I'm an engineer so I tend to consume myself with the details and may complicate things- sorry...

*What is the sequence- Do you add the EPDM membrane on top of the perimeter 1x8s and wrap over the fascia, then add the aluminum drip edge on top of the EPDM rubber? Yes, this is correct.

If the drip edge is mounted on top of the EPDM rubber, what is used to flash/ seal the seam on the roof surface interface so water does not run between the drip edge and membrane? The EPDM Cured Cover Tape

*The railings are not for support, just decorative. Could you expand on what you meant?
Do you recommend to completely install the roof (EPDM), then adhere the blocks to the roof on top of the EPDM? With EPDM 'Water-Stop'.

"then waterproof the blocks?" That's what I'd do. Then, there are no penetrations in the roof itself.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Pro Slate Roofer

Get a Foreman's Field Book for more details.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
Pro Slate Roofer

Here's a bit more.
Attached Thumbnails
Ice/ weather shield for flat roof-epdm-picture-framing-2-.jpg   Ice/ weather shield for flat roof-epdm-picture-framing.jpg   Ice/ weather shield for flat roof-small-epdm-job-3-.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #12

Frank,
like I said earlier, if you were in NJ I'd hire you... What is the Foreman's book? Is it something specifically for roofers?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
Pro Slate Roofer

Virtually every roofing supply house I've been in to buy EPDM has handbooks for EPDM, and the staff are all knowledgable too. ABC/Bradco sell Mulehide. I believe they also have Carlisle and Firestone. Others have Genflex. They all carry handbooks detailing procedures necessary for a good job.

Advertisement