Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2006, 06:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ice & Water suggestion

I have been getting conflicting information as to the instalation of ice and water shield. Does the shield have to be put behind the gutter apron or is it fine to run it down to the roof edge? The contractors suggesting wrapping behind apron also want to sell us new gutters. This is due to having the gutters taken off for ice shield instal. We currently have maintenance free aluminum. If we don't buy new gutters, the labor costs of reinstalling old gutters is the same. Other contractors say it's not needed to mess with the gutters. Going to the roof edge wiil work.(according tho them) In a separate issue, is it better to use all material from the same manufacturer? We are looking at Elk 30 year and Grace shield. Thanks

gegstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 508

Ice & Water suggestion

Ok i will answer all your questions. First some guys like to pull the ice and water down to get a seal on the fascia some guys don't. I think if a guy doesn't i don't want him roofing my house. Next i would go ahead a replace the gutters. Third elk 30 year i think tamko heritage 30 Ar is the way to go. Why the AR is pretty much a free upgrade with them. Finally grace is the best ice and water shield on the market.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #3

Ice & Water suggestion

Grace recommends installing the Grace Ice & Water Shield low enough to cover the facia board crack. Most wrap an inch over the facia board.
JIm
jmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:09 AM   #4

Ice & Water suggestion

Thanks to both for info. Do gutters need to be removed to wrap one inch over facia board? Sorry, but I'm not familiar with this!
gegstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
registered

Rewards Points: 508

Ice & Water suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegstad View Post
Thanks to both for info. Do gutters need to be removed to wrap one inch over facia board? Sorry, but I'm not familiar with this!
I think loosen a little not removed. I not sure. Aaron B here is a roofer and he always seals the fascia with ice and water shield because i discussed that with him before. hopefully he will see this and respond.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote