Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ice and Water Shiled over or under Drip Edge? Leaking Roof

I had my roof replaced this summer and have never had any leaking issues in the past. It was replaced due to hail damage. Now I am experiencing leaking around the entire perimeter of the roof. I think the contractor installed it improperly. I don't think that they actually put down ice and water shield like they said they did. I peaked under the singles and it looks like there is just tar paper on that goes under the metal flashing or drip edge. I would think that the drip edge should have been put down first then ice and water installed over it. Please correct me if I am wrong on that thought. He is supposed to be meeting me today to look at this but I want to make sure he doesn't try to talk his way out of doing it correctly. I am going to try to attach some pictures of the roof. It is a Mansard style roof and I am having the issue where the top (flatter part) meets the vertical sides. It seems to be leaking at that seem all the way around. I think the water is pooling there a little and leaking in.

Thanks for the help
Stan
Attached Images

sbt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Should have ice and water shield on the entire flat area.

Is it also leaking near where the upper section of the falt roof meets the building?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #3

Yeah its leaking on both the upper and lower portions where the flat parts meet the vertical. I am guessing to fix this right they would need to tear it all of and do it over. I am meeting with the guy at lunch we'll see what he says.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #4

Met with the roofer and he basically wants to peal back about 3 feet around the entire perimeter and put down ice and water and then fold it over the edge on top of the vertical shingles then put the flashing over top of it. This I think will take care of the problem. I am a little worried that they will be able to tie everything back into the existing shingles. It seems like it will be a lot of work and they may end up damaging some of them in the process. Any thoughts if that would be an acceptable way to do it? I don't want to be over critical but I do want to make sure it's done right. Especially since the whole thing is only 7 months old.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

If he removes them carefully, that would be a correct fix.

He sounds ethical now, but why didn't something that was supposed to initially be included from the contract get installed in the first place?

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #6

Not sure why it didn't get done right in the first place. It seems like a certain area might have been done correctly but the majority of it wasn't. It's a bigger company since it was an insurance claim. There were about 12-15 guys working on it and got it done in one day so the lead guy may not have caught that they were doing it wrong. I don't think the guy that came out today is very happy about it but it seems like he wants to make it right for me. I just want to make sure that I won't have issues later down the road.

stan
Old 01-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

It might be worth it to have another qualified roofer look over your problem as a deterrent to getting shorted on the remedy here.
From what I see in those pictures,and as Redline suggested,that flatter roof should have ice & water shield all the way to the top.
I'd insist that the entire roof be redone,and with new shingles!
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

1. The shingles on the bottom appear to be flush with the metal. Capillary water wicking will be terrible if I'm right.
2. Water appears to be sitting on the first course. It will run in there at each keyway.
3. 3-tab shingles are worthless on low pitch roofs.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

also looks like the height of the mansards is higher,than bottom edge of top roof,remove the 1st sheet plywood,and make shims to lay on the upper beams so that the sheathings meets flush at that area as well

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote