Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
Dave The Roofer

Send a message via AIM to Dave The Roofer
Share |

Ice & water Shield - How Much?

How much Ice & Water shield should be installed on the eave's?

3'-6'-9' or full coverage on the complete deck, I was told more is better, what do you guys think?

Dave The Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

2' inside the living quarters is code. That insures that when it's time for the new roof, you automatically add 2 sheets of plywood around the perimeter. It only increases the homeowners cost $2-$4K on top of the new roof. Why should the owner care about a few $K extra? Gov. mandate says he can afford it.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
2' inside the living quarters is code. That insures that when it's time for the new roof, you automatically add 2 sheets of plywood around the perimeter. It only increases the homeowners cost $2-$4K on top of the new roof. Why should the owner care about a few $K extra? Gov. mandate says he can afford it.
That's what should be done, but it's not mandated. Most will allow at least 2 layers of I&W.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Indiana doesn't have code for ice and water shield, but it is generally excepted if you are going to use it make sure your ice and water shield extends at least 24" past your inside wall. I'm not sure what code is in Maine.

Unless your house has a slope lower than 4/12, I wouldn't install more than 2 rows of ice and water shield. If you install 2 rows of ice and water shield, you will have more ice and water shield on your house than 99.8% of the homes on the market (at least in Indiana's case).
Internet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
That's what should be done, but it's not mandated. Most will allow at least 2 layers of I&W.
That's 'in theory'. The reality is that 75% of the shingle backs are welded to the I&W and makes for a really, really lumpy mess to attempt to go over. Or will you figure in lots of time to try and chisel the mess smooth? And still leave lots of lumps and humps to give the new roof a character of it's own? That's the real world reality.

The only times I chisel the crap smooth is when doing repairs and area is limited to 4-7 sq. ft.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
MJW

Quote:
That's 'in theory'. The reality is that 75% of the shingle backs are welded to the I&W and makes for a really, really lumpy mess to attempt to go over. Or will you figure in lots of time to try and chisel the mess smooth? And still leave lots of lumps and humps to give the new roof a character of it's own? That's the real world reality.

The only times I chisel the crap smooth is when doing repairs and area is limited to 4-7 sq. ft.

Actually, it's reality.......but what you are saying is true. Nothing worse than getting into a roof that you think will take 20 minutes to tear off, and then it ends up taking an hour for the bottom ~12 courses.

With the hail storms that hit a few years ago, I would say 99% of them have two layers of I&W on them now. Some may have 3, because certain areas got hit a few years earlier also.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ice & water shield, roofers