Ice & Water Shield - How Much? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Dave The Roofer
 
Dave The Roofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to Dave The Roofer
Default

Ice & water Shield - How Much?


How much Ice & Water shield should be installed on the eave's?

3'-6'-9' or full coverage on the complete deck, I was told more is better, what do you guys think?

Advertisement

Dave The Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,611
Rewards Points: 1,038
Default

Ice & water Shield - How Much?


2' inside the living quarters is code. That insures that when it's time for the new roof, you automatically add 2 sheets of plywood around the perimeter. It only increases the homeowners cost $2-$4K on top of the new roof. Why should the owner care about a few $K extra? Gov. mandate says he can afford it.

Advertisement

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
MJW
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 938
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ice & water Shield - How Much?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
2' inside the living quarters is code. That insures that when it's time for the new roof, you automatically add 2 sheets of plywood around the perimeter. It only increases the homeowners cost $2-$4K on top of the new roof. Why should the owner care about a few $K extra? Gov. mandate says he can afford it.
That's what should be done, but it's not mandated. Most will allow at least 2 layers of I&W.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ice & water Shield - How Much?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
2' inside the living quarters is code. That insures that when it's time for the new roof, you automatically add 2 sheets of plywood around the perimeter. It only increases the homeowners cost $2-$4K on top of the new roof. Why should the owner care about a few $K extra? Gov. mandate says he can afford it.
Indiana doesn't have code for ice and water shield, but it is generally excepted if you are going to use it make sure your ice and water shield extends at least 24" past your inside wall. I'm not sure what code is in Maine.

Unless your house has a slope lower than 4/12, I wouldn't install more than 2 rows of ice and water shield. If you install 2 rows of ice and water shield, you will have more ice and water shield on your house than 99.8% of the homes on the market (at least in Indiana's case).
Internet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,611
Rewards Points: 1,038
Exclamation

Ice & water Shield - How Much?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
That's what should be done, but it's not mandated. Most will allow at least 2 layers of I&W.
That's 'in theory'. The reality is that 75% of the shingle backs are welded to the I&W and makes for a really, really lumpy mess to attempt to go over. Or will you figure in lots of time to try and chisel the mess smooth? And still leave lots of lumps and humps to give the new roof a character of it's own? That's the real world reality.

The only times I chisel the crap smooth is when doing repairs and area is limited to 4-7 sq. ft.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
MJW
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 938
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ice & water Shield - How Much?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
That's 'in theory'. The reality is that 75% of the shingle backs are welded to the I&W and makes for a really, really lumpy mess to attempt to go over. Or will you figure in lots of time to try and chisel the mess smooth? And still leave lots of lumps and humps to give the new roof a character of it's own? That's the real world reality.

The only times I chisel the crap smooth is when doing repairs and area is limited to 4-7 sq. ft.

Actually, it's reality.......but what you are saying is true. Nothing worse than getting into a roof that you think will take 20 minutes to tear off, and then it ends up taking an hour for the bottom ~12 courses.

With the hail storms that hit a few years ago, I would say 99% of them have two layers of I&W on them now. Some may have 3, because certain areas got hit a few years earlier also.

Advertisement

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ice & water shield , roofers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low hot water pressure crebive Plumbing 38 02-26-2013 01:26 AM
Ice and Water Shield under drip edge? sutterml Roofing/Siding 10 07-11-2011 06:04 AM
Rubber Roof over Ice & Water Shield PerpetuallyRepairing Roofing/Siding 23 01-08-2009 11:50 PM
Testing 12 year old hot water expansion tank? DJfixer Plumbing 2 01-01-2009 09:09 AM
Periodic release from (I think) the T&P valve on the water heater alexz Plumbing 3 08-15-2006 11:31 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts