DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ice and water shield

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  jeffnc 
#1 ·
Hello
I am roofing a cover for my patio. Is ice and water shield necessary. There is no heat source underneath and it is well vented. I do live in central Illinois and the roof is attached to the house on one end.

#4 ·
You only need ice dams protection membrane when the conditions for ice damming is anticipated. That does not mean that it is a substitute for having the proper slope in your roof. 4/12 for architectural shingles, 3/12 for three tabs. There is no requirement for ice dams protection membrane when there is no heat source below that could cause it.

#13 ·
Is ice and water shield necessary. There is no heat source underneath and it is well vented.
first I would recommend contacting your local building department to determine if it is required based upon your building code. Hard for us to know what is required everywhere.

with that said in my opinion on the surface it should not be required because you do not have conditions that would lead to formation of ice dams. again this is an opinion and one not from the people in charge (building official) which along with $2.50 will get you an iced coffee.

if you have a low sloped roof (under 4:12 pitch) I typically recommend ice and water shield over the sheathing just in case you get wind blown water issues. Most building codes allow installation of shingles down to a 2:12 pitch roof (your code may vary). Some shingle manufacturers however will not warranty their products under a 4:12 pitch.

Yes I know the underlayment should take care of any water but I like having that extra security, call me a wimp ..... plus it helps to seal the nail penetration when attaching your shingles. you know your wind and rain conditions better than us.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.