Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #1

Share |

Ice and Water Shield

is ice and water shield required on new roof installations in Xenia Ohio?

Mikasaol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

Ice and Water Shield

http://www.co.greene.oh.us/bldgregs/

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Thomas For This Useful Post:
seeyou (11-01-2011), Windows on Wash (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Ice and Water Shield

Yes sir.

http://www.co.greene.oh.us/bldgregs/...rent_Codes.htm

Even if it were not, it is cheap insurance and I would be suspect of a roofer that would not use it in a climate where you get snow accumulation of any sort.

Good link Michael Thomas!
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Ice and Water Shield

"Even if it were not, it is cheap insurance and I would be suspect of a roofer that would not use it in a climate where you get snow accumulation of any sort"

I'm gonna play the devil's advocate and argue that point a little (even though I use a lot of I&WS).

We use it when code requires it and when we feel it's prudent. But too many poor roofers get away with poor roofing because they used lots of I&WS instead of installing the actual roofing correctly. We find lots of instances where the I&WS is the roof and the actual shingles or whatever are just cosmetically hiding it.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Ice and Water Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
"Even if it were not, it is cheap insurance and I would be suspect of a roofer that would not use it in a climate where you get snow accumulation of any sort"

I'm gonna play the devil's advocate and argue that point a little (even though I use a lot of I&WS).

We use it when code requires it and when we feel it's prudent. But too many poor roofers get away with poor roofing because they used lots of I&WS instead of installing the actual roofing correctly. We find lots of instances where the I&WS is the roof and the actual shingles or whatever are just cosmetically hiding it.
I agree that you can use it to hid proper technique, however, there is no accounting for the amount of heat loss that a given customer will tolerate and that can create and ice damn and leak in even the most properly done roof.

It is cheap insurance, although not foolproof, in areas where you get snow accumulation.

Lets face it, do you want to get that call that the roof is leaking when their home ice damns and there is nothing that is wrong with your roof?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote