Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #1

Share |

Ice guard

Does anyone have any experience with owens ice guard with felt for shingles.

http://www.menards.com/main/building...339-c-5817.htm

Menards has a good contractor sale on it now, but I don't want to use it unless its any good. I have used their ice guard without the felt in the past and it always worked well, but they discontinued it due to it being slippery.

The main need is to prevent ice damming.

scottonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

Ice guard

That will work.

It helps to prevent the damage from ice dams, not, prevents ice dams.

Ice dams are caused from poor insulation and lack of venting.

jagans (04-15-2013), tinner666 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Ice guard

Hi Scott. Your best bet is to use a product that comes from the shingle MFGR you select, or a product specifically approved by them for use with their product if you want your warranty to hold up in case of a material failure.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Ice guard

Warranty shmorrenty. I've never used that particular one but that's a decent price for an HT ice/water. Of course you don't need an HT for shingles but it won't hurt anything.

I really like their weatherlock tile and metal but really HATE their weatherlock mat.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Ice guard

I agree with you OldNBroken but in today's day and age, the manufacturers have you a bit over the barrel with some of the warranty exclusions for not using their "approved" products.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Roofmaster

Ice guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Warranty shmorrenty. I've never used that particular one but that's a decent price for an HT ice/water. Of course you don't need an HT for shingles but it won't hurt anything.

I really like their weatherlock tile and metal but really HATE their weatherlock mat.
" Hello, Mr Manufacturer? I installed your shingles on my house, and they are coming apart after only two years"

Really? We have never seen this happen with our wonderful shingles. Send us the original receipts for all the pre-appreoved components you used when you installed the shingle.

What? You used Larrys Super Ice dams instead of ours??? Dear Sir, our products are designed to be used as a system, to not do so voids your warranty.

Warranty, Shmorenty, Bye!

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Doing This Way Too Long

Ice guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
" Hello, Mr Manufacturer? I installed your shingles on my house, and they are coming apart after only two years"

Really? We have never seen this happen with our wonderful shingles. Send us the original receipts for all the pre-appreoved components you used when you installed the shingle.

What? You used Larrys Super Ice dams instead of ours??? Dear Sir, our products are designed to be used as a system, to not do so voids your warranty.

Warranty, Shmorenty, Bye!
1. If a contractor sells a customer a system warranty and substitutes products like this then shame on him. A majority of roofs installed are not sold with one.

2. The odds of Almighty Jagan's scenario actually occurring are greater than getting mauled by a black bear and and a white bear in the same day.

3. Roofing and DIY'ing, like life, is not black and white. It's a balance of proper building standards, common sense,and REALITY in dealing with specific scenarios. Cut and pasting the words of some mfr or bureaucrat rarely fits into specific real-world situations. This is a DIY forum, not FedBizOps. We all would help this forum and the people visiting a lot more if we remember this when posting replies.

4. It's still a decent price for an HT

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote