Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Ice dams issues

Hi All -

I'm experiencing issues with ice dams on one portion of my roof. This has been an on going issue for the past few years. I've made it part of my daily chores to rake the roof if snowfall had occurred, and this I thought had "solved" the problem. However, with some funny snow and ice we had received last week, i cannot get all of the snow/ice off of the roof, and of course the dams come back and make a mess of things.

Some basic information - my house is 1 and 1/2 story house, with 4 foot knee walls surrounding the upstairs. Most of the upstairs has been reinsulated, except one room where only behind the knee walls has been reinsulated. above that room, there is old, thin insulation (This is the area that has the most issues). There is one louver and a single small-ish gable vent. I do not have eaves, the facia of my roof only overhangs my walls by barely an inch. The previous owner installed alumnimum sheets at the bottom part of the roof, but the dams just seem to form above those.

So, instead of masking the problem with constant raking, I'd like to step this up a notch and make some changes. I'd appreciate any insight into this problem.

My first and main assumption is that I don't have adequate enough ventilation, causing my roof (especially above the room with less insulation) to cook. If this is the case, I'd gladly like to increase my ventilation, but the issue then becomes how would I vent the bottom of the roof without eaves. I've toyed with the idea of putting some of those GAF 2 inch pvc vents in the facia - thoughts?

Any other recommendations I could do this winter without getting on the roof? My eventual goal is to install a ridge vent when I do the shingles this spring - but obviously not a job for mid-January in Upstate NY.

Thanks in advance -

Al

faller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #2

Ice dams issues

Is your furnace exhause vent in this same area? I recently had my attic areas insulated to R48 from R3. This eliminated the huge ice dams in all areas except the 10foot wide area adjacent to my furnace chimney. I noticed this same issue on other houses in my neighborhood, but not all of them. I still need to go up there to try to see if the chimney is leaking hot air at all.

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #3

Ice dams issues

That sounds like a typical cape cod home.

You need 100% complete Intake Ventilation and a matching, Balanced amount of Exhaust Ventilation, along with insulation baffle vents to allow an air flow from the bottom inlets to the top exhausts, best done by ridge vents, with a recommendation for the Shingle Vent II brand for the ridge vent and the Smart Vent by DCI Products Inc., for the Intake.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #4

Ice dams issues

@beerdog -

My chimney definitely playing into this. It currently sits in the less-insulated section of the house. I plan on investigating that further this evening.

Thanks -

Al
Old 01-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #5

Ice dams issues

@Ed -

Thanks for those recommendations. If I was to install these products in the spring, would my less than adequate insulation in the one room be of major concern, or would it be sufficient with good ventilation.

Any recommendations for how to remedy the problem for the rest of the winter without tearing apart the roof?

Thanks -

Al
Old 01-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #6

Ice dams issues

Did I miss something. Why can't you add more insulation in the problem area? (along with proper ventillation of course)
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #7

Ice dams issues

sorry, failed to mention that section is finished and I can't get to the rafters with tearing out drywall.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #8

Ice dams issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by faller View Post
sorry, failed to mention that section is finished and I can't get to the rafters with tearing out drywall.
meant to say without tearing out drywall.... sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Ice dams issues

Ayuh,... Can't help this winter, but have you considered a Steel roof for the replacement,..??

You could add the insulation,+ venting all at once....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Ice dams issues

CALCIUM CHLORIDE,AND SNOW RAKES---YOU NEED TO ADD THE INSULATION,AND VENTING TO KEEP THE HEAT AWAY FROM THE BOTTOM of the roof,as far as soffit area venting,I drilled large 3" holes thru the existing fascia,added wood blocks over rafters for nailers,padded between with cobra vent,then installed new fascia over it,and capped it with aluminum

afterwards We cap the fascia,and aluminum cover with 3x3" backflashing that goes down below where the gutter will mount like this :

and then secure the gutter on top of the flashing,I also like to seal the back of the gutter to the 3x3 with Geocell tri-polymer sealant-I`m in Rockland county,deal with Ice dams all the time

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #11

Ice dams issues

I have aluminum at the bottom 2 feet of my roof - will calcium chloride do anything nasty to aluminum?

Thanks for the venting idea. good thing I already started saving for this job!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #12

Ice dams issues

nice way to handle that John
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Ice dams issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by faller View Post
I have aluminum at the bottom 2 feet of my roof - will calcium chloride do anything nasty to aluminum?

Thanks for the venting idea. good thing I already started saving for this job!
calcium chloride won`t hurt the aluminum,where are you lake george area ? I`ve seen the metal at the roof bottoms there,when I`ve gone fishing

Thanks Tom

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #14

Ice dams issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roofing god View Post
calcium chloride won`t hurt the aluminum,where are you lake george area ? I`ve seen the metal at the roof bottoms there,when I`ve gone fishing

Thanks Tom
Tom -

I'm in Schenectady County - about an hour south of Lake George.

I appreciate all of your assistance.

Regards,
Al
Old 01-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #15

Ice dams issues

Great info @ buildingscience.com search ice dams. This won't fix it but it helps you understand better based on regional issues and climates

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote