Ice Damming On Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 512

ice damming on roof

im starting to get a little bit worried with the roof of my house. there is currently about 3feet on snow on my roof and there is about 6" of ice along the edges of my roof. im afaird water/ice is going to get under my shingles. the roof has around an R40 batt insulation in the ceiling but there are no baffle vents. is this happening because im not getting a good air flow? whats the right fix for this? there is not enough room to get up in the roof to add venting and would probably have to pull the soffit and add it in from there. should i just shovel my roof and chip the ice off the roof to avoid disaster?
Attached Thumbnails
ice damming on roof-our-home.jpg  

Advertisement

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

ice damming on roof

Shovel the roof, but not right down to the shingles and don't chip the ice otherwise you will damage the shingles. Lay a sock filled with ice melt if you are worried, but otherwise I would leave the ice alone until it gets warmer.

More ventilation would help, and you are probably correct on having to tackle the soffits from the outside. Depending on what you have now for venting, a good ridge vent would be needed along with the soffit vents. Also ensure that any holes in the ceiling (boxes, pot lights, etc) are well sealed so warm inside air does not escape into the attic.

Advertisement

shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Roofing Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

ice damming on roof

Looks like a low pitched roof so getting up there with a shovel shouldn't be very tough.

If you shovel the roof make sure the shovel is plastic and go you from the peak towards the eave only. It may be tough on the eave to want to scoop up and toss off but this can cause your shovel to go under the shingles and cause damage to your roof.

Once the snow is off it will help to prevent water from puddling above your little ice dams. The sun will also help to melt the little ice dam.

When I say little ice dam it's only because I steamed last Winter and on roof slopes like yours we dealth with ice 1.5ft thick on the eave line and it tapered up the roof as high as 6ft!

Right now it sounds like your roof system is a "hot" roof. These types of roofs will quite often cause ice dam issues.

You should be able to add baffles/shutes if you take the time to remove the soffit panels. What I would recommend unless you already have it is center vent soffit panels. This way 50% of your eave is allowing air in.

Good luck and be careful!!!
dougger222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 512

ice damming on roof

thanks for the second opinion guys, i was up there today and got about a 1/3 of the roof shoveled, boy theres alot of weight up there 3' of heavy wet snow, i got a real good work out!
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 42

ice damming on roof

A roof rake is what you need. There is a longer term solution to preventing ice dams from forming by adding adaquate ventillation but doubt that would keep up with 3 feet of snow. Three feet of snow puts a lot of weight on a roof and a lot of stress. The roof rakes are designed to let you clear snow off from the safety of the ground. The newer ones even have little rollers that help portect the shingles.

I have not had to do that once this year since we had a very mild winter in NY.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,290

ice damming on roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
thanks for the second opinion guys, i was up there today and got about a 1/3 of the roof shoveled, boy theres alot of weight up there 3' of heavy wet snow, i got a real good work out!
Seal up all the leaks, add insulation, and improve the venting.

Ice damns are a heat loss issue. Limit the heat loss, you mitigate the development of ice damns.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote