Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Share |
Default

ice dam problem


HELP!!
I have an almost new (3 years old) home with a 12/12 pitch roof and 4 each of valleys and gables. There is no attic space; cathedral ceilings throughout and a composition shingle roof. I am in heavy snow country. If this sounds like a recipe for ice dam problems you are exactly right. Although I cannot prove it, I believe that my roofer slipped up on the application of ice shield. He was to have used it from eve up past the house walls, and around all valleys. Since I am having leakage as a result of damming problems, I can only assume that he messed up through carelessness. The roofer is out of business and out of town!
What solution do I have at this time? Is there any product that can be applied on top of the shingles without destroying the looks? I really hate to think about removing shingles, applying ice shield, then re-roofing.

jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
MJW
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 938
Default

ice dam problem


Quote:
Originally Posted by jandb View Post
HELP!!
The roofer is out of business and out of town!
There is your problem.

There are options like heat tapes, but I would bet you have other problems. Some pictures would help alot. Put in your location, maybe there is a professional here that could help you.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,787
Default

ice dam problem


Can you contact the builder?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:44 AM   #4
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canadian Rockies
Posts: 1,280
Default

ice dam problem


Code for Ice shield here is that it needs to be applied 24 inches inside the exterior wall measured horizontally from the exterior wall, not up the roof line.
We often cover the entire roof to avoid this situation.
Heat tape would help a lot. And heat tape the valleys, too.

*edit*
Another solution is to add a 'cold roof' on top of the existing roof. That is expensive, but very effective on cathedral ceilings.
I'll bet a round of refreshments that the venting space above your insulation is blocked and not venting properly. Hence the cold roof would be the ultimate solution.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Go ahead and apply for a variance, those guys at City Hall can use a good laugh.

Last edited by jlhaslip; 02-12-2010 at 05:48 AM.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
MJW
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 938
Default

ice dam problem


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
We often cover the entire roof to avoid this situation.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canadian Rockies
Posts: 1,280
Default

ice dam problem


Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
It comes with living in the Rocky Mountains and some areas are quite elevated. Houses are two story and the second floor will have a deck with stairs for when the snow gets deep. So you can get out of the house to go skiing...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Go ahead and apply for a variance, those guys at City Hall can use a good laugh.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Member
 
toeey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 52
Default

ice dam problem


Quote:
Originally Posted by jandb View Post
HELP!!
I have an almost new (3 years old) home with a 12/12 pitch roof and 4 each of valleys and gables. There is no attic space; cathedral ceilings throughout and a composition shingle roof. I am in heavy snow country. If this sounds like a recipe for ice dam problems you are exactly right. Although I cannot prove it, I believe that my roofer slipped up on the application of ice shield. He was to have used it from eve up past the house walls, and around all valleys. Since I am having leakage as a result of damming problems, I can only assume that he messed up through carelessness. The roofer is out of business and out of town!
What solution do I have at this time? Is there any product that can be applied on top of the shingles without destroying the looks? I really hate to think about removing shingles, applying ice shield, then re-roofing.
Cathedral ceilings stink! The only areas of my house that are vaulted, are areas where Im getting ice dams and leakage. Insulation companies said nothing they can do. Recommended roofers to look at it. Roofers determined that it didnt look like there was any ice/water guard.
toeey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Default

ice dam problem


I am located in a very small community in the Rockies in New Mexico. There is no ventilation in the "attic" because it is completely filled with insulation and there is no entry point for air. Every non gabled edge dies into a valley. As I mentioned, I am skeptical of the proper coverage of ice shield during roofing, but that is after the fact now. I need a solution short of ripping the roof off and redoing it. If that happens you can bet that I will be there to be sure the entire roof is covered with ice shield.

jlhaslip, I am interested in what you mean by a "cold roof"?

jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with fan coil unit/hydronic system. flood1911 HVAC 2 09-05-2008 04:57 PM
2 switches , one light problem pepperthecat Electrical 2 07-08-2008 03:57 PM
Stymied by window leakage problem. Matth3w General DIY Discussions 5 06-11-2008 06:26 PM
Door -Storm Door problem bassman Building & Construction 2 01-17-2007 03:16 PM
Post-Tension Slab Problem Advice/Help Mike McBride Building & Construction 2 01-09-2007 01:51 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.