Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #1

Share |

ib roofing not laying flat...how long?

We are about an hour away from having to sign off on a 25,000 roof project with IB Traditions roofing in some of the flat areas of the project. It is rippled, has has a lot of visible 4 x 4 inch patches. The contract stated that the old shingles would be removed but they were not. I asked the contractor who hasn't seen it in person and he says that it will take 6 months to lay down flat. Does any one know if this is true?
Help????

slyswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

If your contract states something and it was not honored then I would not pay squat.Only pay after you agree that EVERYTHING on the contract has been performed.No questions.,PERIOD !!!!!!

It clearly states on most contracts that THIS roof job WILL be PERFORMED for $25,000.00.,The work was not performed as it was promised so until the job is completed as SPECIFIED by the contractor I would pay nothing.

It does not matter if the owner has not seen it.I would wait until he HAS seen the finished project.If the project was not demo'd like it was supposed to be I would pay nothing.,zilch

I am telling you if you pay in full your making a huge mistake.You have all the power when you hold the final payment.

He who has the gold makes the rules.,The golden rule.(Within reason)

You are willing to pay correct ?.,I am sure your answer is yes.Are you getting what you payed for or are paying for ?.,Does not sound like it if what you say is true.

If you are buying a $25,000.00 2011 Camaro with a specified 300 miles.,before you take delivery you find the car has 13500 miles will you still spend the $25,000 ?

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-22-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Can't comment on your roof specifically since I can't see it but, yes, unless they really messed up on the welds, they tend to tighten up and look much better shortly after installation. The first IB we installed I was concerned about some ripples in the membrane but, sure enough, a few months later it was nice and smooth and tight.

One question though, did they mfr rep do the final inspection? You need to bring up your concerns with him or call their HQ. I have found they are pretty easy to deal with.

Pictures would be nice. I've never installed nor seen a tradition installation and am curious what yours turned out like.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #4

Roofmaster: I agree about not paying...yet...saddest thing is that the greatest, most hard-working guys put on the whole roof and did such a spledid job on the rest. I think it might be that they didn't know this product? We were more than willing to pay the agreed price and are not asking for more than what was agreed so we're not sure how to handle it. I would think the contractor should have to do a final inspection but he says he won't be here 'til late next week. (But hand the balance to his workers when the leave please). What about a lien waver??? A bit scared now. Good thing is that they didn't finish tonight afterall so I have until tomorrow to decide what to do
Thanks for your sound advice---also, I grew up in and around Springfield and even lived in Joplin a bit before moving there!

Old and Broken: I was so pleased to read that it will lay down. Even over old bumpy shingles? I am attempting to add pictures... on the roll, the product looks better than I had hoped but really isn't pretty on the house--will hope for some hot days. It will be what I see when I look out the upstair dormer windows (all six of them--yikes!). I think, properly installed, it would be a great product.

Thanks again guys!
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #5

One more picture...
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
RFN-4A-LVN

Your saying the contract states that the roof will be removed then the new product installed.You said that was not done.There should be no questions regarding payment.

If my contract states that I will tear off a roof but I don't and instead I recover then charge you for that I would be out of my mind and you would be out of your mind paying me.Just saying.

Also I provide my customers with lien waivers.That is to protect them.That is another reason not to pay until the roof is inspected.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
AndyWRS (03-22-2012), Tom Struble (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Doing This Way Too Long

Slyswife, hold on a minute. Is there a mfrs warranty with your IB system? I wouldn't take the contractors word for it, I would want to hear it from the IB rep.

I have more comments about it but I, too, am interested in if they followed their contract with you as well as what kind of warranty they sold you with the Traditions first.

btw, not a very telling picture and cannot see the "patches" you are talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
AndyWRS (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Metal Roofing

This is not a product i am familiar with, but i would be a little uncomfortable paying for something the contrator says will lay flat in a few months. I would get it inspected by the manufacturer, if they say its good to go i would pay the balance...i am not taking the contractors word for it nor am i paying the balance until i confirm with the manufacturer.

Interesting looking product, but i would be concerned about whats in your pics also.

Interesting thread, thanks
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #9

Sorry Oldnbroken for my bad photography. The sun was shining back at the camera. Here is a photo (another bad one) of one of the patches. I don't know why they are everywhere?
The product was 'stated' to have the same life-time warranty as the shingles and the contractor says he handles all his warranties.
I'm not bashing the contractor--I can see how it would be easy to think I am--They really do seem like a great company with a fine crew. I'm just asking for educated advice-- but I am gettin' a little scared by your opinions boys!
I will call IB tomorrow and see what they say.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Metal Roofing

How many of these are you talking about ?

If i compare it to modbit, those patches would be ok but its sloppy and i dont see a need for it. If i had to look out a window from the 2nd story and see patches everywhere on my new roof, i would be a little pissed off. Depending on how many you have, this could be an issue.

If a tear off was not done and it was in the contract the ripples and patches are besides the point. They need to tear off and start over.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
Roofmaster417 (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
Doing This Way Too Long

That makes me wonder if he is even certified. He didn't even offer you the mfrs warranty? I wanted to see if the patches you were talking about were "t" patches which are required in certain places. Those look like they are just patching damage.

IB has a vested interest in ensuring neat and proper installations of traditions because, unlike normal roofs that no one sees, it also requires aesthetic appeal and that is either a big selling point or a serious blemish on their reputation. If this is a sanctioned installation the rep will be your best bet in determining if it is acceptable. If it is not then you basically are at the mercy of your contractor.

The problem with this type of system is any monkey with a heat gun thinks he can install it but it actually takes above average skill and attention to detail to make it look proper.

Your whole reason for choosing this product for a premium is the aesthetics and I would hope you want to make sure you are happy in that regard.

Let us know what IB says if you will.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #12

I've never even seen that product before. If I was to walk up and see a roof that look that looked that bad I sure as heck would never buy it.
Are you saying this roofing was installed over a failing curled up shingled roof and they did not remove it first?
That would be nuts to do it that way with that material.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I've never even seen that product before. If I was to walk up and see a roof that look that looked that bad I sure as heck would never buy it.
Are you saying this roofing was installed over a failing curled up shingled roof and they did not remove it first?
That would be nuts to do it that way with that material.
You are correct. The ONLY proper way to install this is full tearoff over 1/2" recovery board or fanfold which is why I'm wondering if this was done under the table
Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #14

And why all the patching? 100% sure that's going to leak at some point.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #15
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
And why all the patching? 100% sure that's going to leak at some point.
Not necessarily. It's no different than any other pvc. The material is actually very nice to work with...long as you don't breath too deep when hand welding it. I really like working with IB and will always recommend it over any tpo anyday. Well worth the minor cost difference.